Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Unknown Command"

My IM worked perfectly fine until my sister decided to play with the settings (the apple script settings specifically) and now, every time I send an IM, the message "unknown command" posts along with my message. Anybody know how to fix this? It's really starting to get quite annoying.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2008 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2008 12:27 PM

OK,

There are two places to check. Actually two type of places to check.

1) Go to the iChat > Preferences > Alerts section.
Check every potential setting in the top drop down with whether it has a AppleScript setting checked in the box below.

2) Click once on every Buddy (in turn) then hit the Apple key and I together to get the Info card up.
Go to the Alerts tab.
Repeat 1) (This is because you can set the Alerts Individually as well as Globally in 1) )

Once you have found and removed any setting to Use one of the AppleScripts you can then use the iChat > Preferences > Alerts section to open the Scripts Folder and open the Scripts with AppleScript Editor (Just Double Click them) and check them for changes (there is an Auto Accept that is phrased to cope with all types of chats and Screen Sharing invites there is also an Auto decline)

If this fails to work you will have to delete com.apple.ichat.plist
This will mean making your Settings again in all the Preferences as you Lose Alerts settings, Font choice, Font Colour, Bubble colour, whether the Menu Bar icon is showing, Whether Transcripts are Saved and so on. You also lose any Personal or Individually set Alerts.
Outside of the Preferences you will also lose any Saved Status Messages you have Created.

You will not lose your Buddy List or your Buddy pic or those of your Buddies.
(You may lose Animation if set it.)

My guess would be that the choice for Message Sent has an Applescript check against it and that the AppleScript it is connected to is nothing to do with Sending.

User uploaded file

8:27 PM Monday; December 1, 2008
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2008 12:27 PM in response to wschamps0826

OK,

There are two places to check. Actually two type of places to check.

1) Go to the iChat > Preferences > Alerts section.
Check every potential setting in the top drop down with whether it has a AppleScript setting checked in the box below.

2) Click once on every Buddy (in turn) then hit the Apple key and I together to get the Info card up.
Go to the Alerts tab.
Repeat 1) (This is because you can set the Alerts Individually as well as Globally in 1) )

Once you have found and removed any setting to Use one of the AppleScripts you can then use the iChat > Preferences > Alerts section to open the Scripts Folder and open the Scripts with AppleScript Editor (Just Double Click them) and check them for changes (there is an Auto Accept that is phrased to cope with all types of chats and Screen Sharing invites there is also an Auto decline)

If this fails to work you will have to delete com.apple.ichat.plist
This will mean making your Settings again in all the Preferences as you Lose Alerts settings, Font choice, Font Colour, Bubble colour, whether the Menu Bar icon is showing, Whether Transcripts are Saved and so on. You also lose any Personal or Individually set Alerts.
Outside of the Preferences you will also lose any Saved Status Messages you have Created.

You will not lose your Buddy List or your Buddy pic or those of your Buddies.
(You may lose Animation if set it.)

My guess would be that the choice for Message Sent has an Applescript check against it and that the AppleScript it is connected to is nothing to do with Sending.

User uploaded file

8:27 PM Monday; December 1, 2008

"Unknown Command"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.