Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Repeated Disk Utility & fsck errors - what to do next?

637 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2008 3:07 PM by midtoad@shaw.ca RSS
midtoad@shaw.ca Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 30, 2008 8:26 PM
After nearly a year of flawless operation (yes, my warranty will soon expire), my iMac has suddenly started to misbehave. Disk Utility has reported finding errors which it is unable to repair. I've run fsck_hfs in single-user mode a couple of times, and after each reboot it again finds errors. Then I bought DiskWarrior and it repaired my drive. All was well for nearly a day, and now I'm back to the same situation. So, what to do now?

Should I reinstall the OS and just run it bare without any additional apps for a while, to see if I get more errors? (I've made a SuperDuper! bootable backup which I should be able to reboot from if needed). Or are these repeated errors to be more likely the sign of permanent problems with my hard disc, and I should go to the local Apple store without wasting any more time?

Fortunately I have a Powerbook to hold me over as a spare machine if I do have to give up my iMac.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks
S
iMac alu. 20" 2.0 GHz/4.0 GB, Mac Mini (server), original Macintosh, Touch 8 GB, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Also, Ubuntu Linux, WinXP in Parallels
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (221,075 points)
    Since you have a backup I'd suggest you wipe the drive and reinstall. Do this:

Extended Hard Drive Preparation

1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger or Leopard.)

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the number of partitions from the dropdown menu (use 1 partition unless you wish to make more.) Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID (only required for Intel Macs) then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the volume(s) mount on the Desktop.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Upon completion quit DU and return to the installer. Now complete the reinstallation of OS X.
    Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz; MacBook Pro C2D 2.33 Ghz; MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Intel iMac C2D 17 "; MacBook 2.0 Ghz; 30 GB iPod Video (Black); iPod Nano 2 GB
  • nerowolfe Level 6 Level 6 (13,070 points)
    I think you have a failing HD.
    Back it up with TM or CCC or SuperDuper! and take the machine to Apple for a replacement HD, if that is the problem, which it seems to be from your description of the issue.
    MacBookPro3,1-17"Core2Duo/VistaUlt64SP1; MacBookPro1,1-15"/XPProSP3; Dual G5/XPP, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Homebrew 3GHz ASUS PC, Dell Inspiron8k, Abacus, Sliderule, HP-50G
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (221,075 points)
    If the drive is OK, then I would do what I suggested. Hopefully it will work although you will lose everything on the drive. But since you said you have backups this will be a minor inconvenience.
    Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz; MacBook Pro C2D 2.33 Ghz; MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Intel iMac C2D 17 "; MacBook 2.0 Ghz; 30 GB iPod Video (Black); iPod Nano 2 GB
  • ~Bee Level 7 Level 7 (30,580 points)
    midtoad --
    Which were you trying to repair?
    Permissions
    or the Hard Drive?
    iMac Intel2 -1GB; G4 iLamp; PB G4; Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Cable I'net; LaCie Ext. HD

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.