Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TiBook seems dead - suggestions

so, i had my Ti book on a shelf for a while - i've been using my macbook pro instead...

i plugged in the Ti and tried booting it and got nothing. no sound, no nothing.

i checked the power cord w/ a voltmeter and it seems to work fine.

should i just wait to let current flow into it more?
does the Ti need the internal battery to work to boot? maybe that battery is dead...

any other ideas?

many thanks in advance! cheers

MBP 17/2GB/7200/matte, dualG51.8, G4 450, TiBook, some G3s, & a Quadra!, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 1, 2008 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2008 12:41 PM

Hi, W. J. Remove the main battery and leave the AC adapter connected for five or six hours. This will recharge the internal backup battery, if it can still take a charge. Recharging it with a drained main battery in place can take up to 48 hours.

After 5-6 hours, try starting up on AC power, still without the main battery in place. If the computer starts up, you can shut it down again and put the main battery back to see whether that can still be charged. If it's been left in a drained state for weeks or months, it's probably permanently dead and will have to be replaced.

If the computer is still unresponsive after five or six hours of trying to charge the backup battery, either that battery is permanently dead, or the Powerbook has some other hardware problem.

If you are able to get the machine started up, you'll need to reset the date & time and some other preferences/settings that are normally maintained in PRAM with power from the backup battery.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2008 12:41 PM in response to W.J. Llope

Hi, W. J. Remove the main battery and leave the AC adapter connected for five or six hours. This will recharge the internal backup battery, if it can still take a charge. Recharging it with a drained main battery in place can take up to 48 hours.

After 5-6 hours, try starting up on AC power, still without the main battery in place. If the computer starts up, you can shut it down again and put the main battery back to see whether that can still be charged. If it's been left in a drained state for weeks or months, it's probably permanently dead and will have to be replaced.

If the computer is still unresponsive after five or six hours of trying to charge the backup battery, either that battery is permanently dead, or the Powerbook has some other hardware problem.

If you are able to get the machine started up, you'll need to reset the date & time and some other preferences/settings that are normally maintained in PRAM with power from the backup battery.

TiBook seems dead - suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.