9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2008 7:28 PM by amember
amember Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
In WordPerfect, which I loved but think made my ex-computer (PC) an unworkable machine, I could push one button on the toolbar and get a horizontal line. In Word, I could go through a long process to get a line but couldn't get rid of it, and now that I've got a superior maching (iMac) I'm really hoping I'll learn to make 'Pages' in the iWork program simple to use.

But....in my new document in Pages, I can't yet get more than a sort of half-line in the center of the page. I can't see a way to get a horizontal line so I can do 2 of them and put text in between them. Please forgive my gross ignorance here, I just got my iMac 2 days ago and am trying to figure out some basic commands in Pages. I haven't yet had my first one-to-one Care appointment in which I hope to learn a lot about Pages.

Be kind...I'm still in that overly-excited and extremely happy mood just because I finally got my dream come true, this wonderful iMac computer. LOL

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • sjallan Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)
    Use the Shapes button in your tool bar. It will put a horizontal line in the middle of your page. Hold the shift key down to keep the line straight and drag the end by the little box handle to make it longer or to move it around the page. While the handle is still showing, you can do a copy paste to get an identical copy of the line. Drag it around when the little boxes show on each end (that tells pages that the line is selected).

SJ Allan
  • Tulse Level 5 Level 5 (5,790 points)
    Welcome to Macintosh, amember!

In the Text Inspector, in the "More" tab, you can get horizontal (and vertical) borders for paragraphs in the Borders and Rules section.
  • Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (29,905 points)
    Tulse,

The vertical line was a topic a couple of weeks ago, and my recollection is that Text Inspector : More could do horizontal borders, or a box, but not verticals. Did we miss something?

Jerry
  • amember Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I was glad to see the tiny 'reply' at the top of the page, because after I first marked the question as solved, I don't think I could have thanked you both, so I un-did that. Your answers enabled me to make a horizontal line, which is just what I needed. I wish it were easier though. My next question will address how hard 'Pages' is when performing simple commands compared with other Word Processors. Thanks so much for your help!
    (I'm glad I copied my reply because it didn't 'post' what I typed into the reply box and submitted....)

I was glad to see the tiny 'reply' at the top of the page, because after I first marked the question as solved, I don't think I could have thanked you both, so I un-did that. Your answers enabled me to make a horizontal line, which is just what I needed. I wish it were easier though. My next question will address how hard 'Pages' is when performing simple commands compared with other Word Processors. Thanks so much for your help!
    It gets easier, of course. Did you know that you can have any number of Inspectors open at once? This means that you can dedicate one Inspector window to Text > More and have it handy for making your horizontal separators.

Jerry
    Jerry, will you expound on that a bit, I'd like to do that for sure, and also for keeping bookmarks handy. Thanks
    Most of your document controls are in the Inspector (View > Show Inspector). If you already have an inspector open, you can View > New Inspector, as many times as you want, to add additional Inspector windows. So if you don't like to navigate between oft-used Inspector controls, just put up multiple Inspectors and keep each of them set to a different control pane.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry! I'm marking this solved.