Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5 kernel error

Hi,

We have also the Mac Pro (MacPro1,1 - first Intel Mac Pro), I just upgraded it with the Seagate 1.5TB hard drives, now I have this internal setup:
- 1x 320 GB Seagate ST3250824AS (system)
- 2x 1.5 TB Seagate ST31500341AS (music and music backup)
- 1x 750 GB Seagate ST3750640AS (itunes and video)

Now I experience when playing MP3s from the 1.5TB HDDs that from time to time this error shows up in the Console, while the playback continues, but nothing coming from the soundcard (even FW MOTU 828mkII, even integrated soundcard):
kernel kernel 0 kern Debug jnl: disk1s2: flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5

When using Logic Pro 8 it hardly happens, but it happens a lot when playing even a single MP3 using QuickTime from the 1.5 TB disks.. like every five minutes? annoying.

Once i noticed trouble like this (but didn`t checked the system log, if it`s the same prob, but seems similar) on our newer Mac Pro (early 2008 model - single quad-core), equipped with 1 TB Seagate drives. And it was much more deeper. On this older Mac Pro I can do nearly everything else, when the computer freezes the playback, but on the other Mac Pro it also disabled my Wacom Bamboo tablet (other USB equipment was working flawlessly) and worse - it happened when trying to record into the Logic Pro 8..

Both Mac Pros updated with the latest Software Update updates, running Leopard.

Any solution.. ?
I would be grateful!

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2008 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2008 1:57 PM

Well, there are known problems with those 1.5TB drives.

You can find reports on multiple sites including Seagate's forums, MacIntouch (hard drives) and AccelerateYourMac.
7 replies

Dec 1, 2008 6:55 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks. I searched the web only with the console log, which didn`t revealed to me these pages.

So, to close this topic I only add what I noticed there - there should be a firmware fix right from Seagate, which can be obtained by contacting the Seagate Support directly and they will provide a download link for a CD image, which is bootable and updates the drive`s firmware(s).

Notice - you should be updating only one drive at a time. Be sure to disconnect all connected drives and proceed one by one (if you have more, like I do) by inserting them after each of them is updated into the bays. Talking about Mac Pro.

Dec 12, 2008 10:18 AM in response to BioRich

Firmware is indeed available for this drive. I called Seagate (1-800-732-4283 (North America)) and they gave me a password to get the firmware. They were a bit confused as to how to patch the drive, and I haven't tried it yet, but you have to boot up with this thing apparently.

Also they said to back up the data as the drive might be erased. Lovely.

I will post here if I find anything more out. If I don't post, assume all is good.

Dec 12, 2008 4:42 PM in response to sgginc

OK, this seems to have worked. I have played iTunes for about 15 minutes with this, and no stopping.

- they email you a link and a password
- this gets you the zip file for your drive
- unzip, use Disk Utility to burn a DVD from the ISO image
- BACKUP YOUR DRIVE (they even suggested this)
- shut down your Mac, take out all drives except the one you need to change
- startup with the DVD by holding down C
- on the prompt, hit return, then send the update to the drive (takes a minute)
- as requested, hit return for it to shut down by itself. DO NOT CNTRL-ALT-DEL (yes it's a PC thang), as it needs a full cycle to have the firmware updated.
- the box is now shut down, so unplug, put in your drives, reboot

It should work just like that. Mine did, with no need for zapping PRAM, and the data was just fine.

HTH

Flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5 kernel error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.