Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limiting the frequency of categories (on x-axis) in Chart

My chart has a lot of data (years 1850-present) and the x-axis (years) is way too cluttered. There's so many years down there it looks like one big grey bar. Is there a way to limit the labeling to every 10 years, or some other solution? I've tried playing with my data in the table, but it's no use.

p.s. I tried to post a pic of this problem, but it wouldn't let me. If that's possible and it would help, just say the word. thanks!

15" 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro, unibody, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 4GB, glossy, 7200rpm drive

Posted on Dec 2, 2008 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2008 9:17 AM

You may chart with a first column containing only the numbers of years ending by zero.

User uploaded file

You may also chart several groups separately.

User uploaded file

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE mardi 2 décembre 2008 18:06:28)
4 replies

Dec 2, 2008 11:55 AM in response to rpmca

rpm,

Numbers will try to space out your x-axis labels, but you may have to help out by formatting them as either diagonal or vertical. If you select your chart and grab a sizing handle, you can stretch or compress the width of the chart and you will notice the number of axis labels changing.

In the Chart Inspector, Axis Tab, click the X-Axis control and select Vertical Labels.

Jerry

Limiting the frequency of categories (on x-axis) in Chart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.