Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artists not showing up?

I have kind of a random problem, also a tad frivolous but it's getting annoying.

I've got a CD on my iPod that doesn't show up on the Artist list. It shows up on the Albums list, and the songs are on the Songs list, so the album is definitely there, but the artist won't show up.

Here's where it gets weird. My mom's iPod has the same album on it and the artist is there. So it's not a problem with the mp3's.

And even weirder: I got a new iPod (a replacement for my other fried one) and I put the album in question on it. And it didn't show up on the artist list on my NEW iPod. So it wasn't a problem with my iPod.

And even weirder: Then I got frustrated, deleted the entire album off my computer, re-ripped the cd, and put it back on my iPod. Completely new music files, and it still wont show up on the artist list.

Aaah! What?

the newish one, Mac OS X (10.5.3), iPod classic 80 gig

Posted on Dec 3, 2008 11:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2008 2:09 AM

It could be that you have inadvertently imported these CDs into iTunes as part of a compilation. If so, the artists won't show in the artists menu on the iPod.

To check, highlight the tracks on one of the offending artists CDs in iTunes, right click and select "get info". This brings up a song info window, and by selecting "options" you can check if you have 'yes' in the box marked "part of a compilation".

If you have, select 'no' instead and click 'ok'. Do this with any CD that has this issue. This will alter the info in iTunes, and you should then connect your iPod and synchronize the changes.

The problem arises because the information contained on the Gracenote CD Data Base (where iTunes gets all it's album/artist/track info from), is sometimes incorrect. It can show CDs as compilations when in fact they are not.

You should also check that the songs have album name info in their ID tags.

See: Some songs don't show under artist on my iPod.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2008 2:09 AM in response to loveinvain

It could be that you have inadvertently imported these CDs into iTunes as part of a compilation. If so, the artists won't show in the artists menu on the iPod.

To check, highlight the tracks on one of the offending artists CDs in iTunes, right click and select "get info". This brings up a song info window, and by selecting "options" you can check if you have 'yes' in the box marked "part of a compilation".

If you have, select 'no' instead and click 'ok'. Do this with any CD that has this issue. This will alter the info in iTunes, and you should then connect your iPod and synchronize the changes.

The problem arises because the information contained on the Gracenote CD Data Base (where iTunes gets all it's album/artist/track info from), is sometimes incorrect. It can show CDs as compilations when in fact they are not.

You should also check that the songs have album name info in their ID tags.

See: Some songs don't show under artist on my iPod.

Artists not showing up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.