Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant yet a little different

I keep backups (carbon copy cloner) of my Power PC G4 (10.3.9) on an external HD.
Just got a new iMac (10.5.5, 2.8 Ghz Intel Core2 Duo, 2 GB etc.) and was considering using Migration Assistant. My external HD is connected to new iMac via FW. Is this a reasonable method to use MA ?
Also can I bring over only let's say my AppleWorks folder in Applications, user account, and pictures folder and bring other things over later if wanted to needed ? I like this new, clean environment and would like to keep it that way. Sort of 'dejunking'.

Thanks
Patty Brown

iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 24 in.

Posted on Dec 5, 2008 9:16 AM

7 replies

Dec 5, 2008 12:10 PM in response to Niel

Thank you both Niel & AxL ! You know I could drag this out (no pun intended) piece by piece but maybe it might be better to just use MA and move it all over and be done with it ! What do you think of 'MY PLAN':
Erase and install again with my two new CDs. During this process when asked about migrating,
turn on my external FW HD and point to latest backup of old iMac there and indicate to migrate all of it. Hopefully the questions I'm asked during this install will make sense to me !

If this doesn't work, my husband is just dying to get his hands on my new machine.
'HIS PLAN'
Using DU, take the latest backup of old iMac on external HD and restore on my new iMac
Use my 2 new install discs to install over old system
He claims to have used 'his plan' millions times successfully !

Please comment on 'my plan and 'his plan' or on anything else.
Thanks for your expertise, time, and patience !

Patty Brown

Dec 9, 2008 6:03 AM in response to Niel

I had to leave town and am back to my new iMac and migration issues. I'm being warned about losing 'hidden files'. So one more question (final) . . . I really only have some iPhoto pics, some purchased iTunes, an Appleworks DB file and Apple mail - so - if I use MA and migrate only my USERS and APPLICATION folders to my new machine - isn't this like all I really need ? - is there some mysterious 'hidden file' problem here ?

Thank you again,
Patricia Brown

migration assistant yet a little different

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.