Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is best way to delete itunes library? I need to "reload"

I need to "start over" with a new itunes library. I want to start fresh and re-import all my music. Is it best to go to where all my music in on my HD and trash it (the folder that i have indicated in itunes preference) or should i got into itunes and just drag all my music to the trash and then empty the trash? Does it matter?

AND... it i am starting my library over by re-importing music - before i do that - should i be deleting any other itunes or music library files/folders in the finder? I see there are some files that seem to update themselves after closing out of itunes.

I am cleaning up a mess i got into and just want to start out really as clean as possible when i bring all the music back into itunes.

THANKS!
Lisa

Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Dec 6, 2008 4:17 PM

8 replies

Dec 7, 2008 6:17 AM in response to Chris CA

Next level of thought/question. When i follow your method, will the songs be copied "in the itunes library" or just pointing to that folder? I was thinking that i wanted to make sure that i had checked "copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" so that everything would be in the same place. I am starting over now because iTunes was looking for my music in various places and makes it difficult to synch with my new computer and make back up.

If i check "copy files to iTunes...." will i then have 2 sets of music stored on my hard drive? The music in folders as it is now - and then another set as the library? That seems like a waste of space - especially since i have LOTS of music. Or once you copy it to the library you dont need the 1st set of folders? I hope I am not overcomplicating things. Looking for using least space and being most organized.

My goals are to be efficient and clean with this "restart". I just want music located in one place - for organization and also don't want it in 2 places wasting space.

Thanks, and sorry this ended up in Windows section - i am working on a mac

Dec 7, 2008 9:51 AM in response to lgcnyc

You can quit iTunes, delete the iTunes folder.
Note that any music in the iTunes music folder will be deleted. If you do not have a backup or another copy somewhere, it will be gone.

Restart iTunes. This will create a new blank library.
Go to iTunes prefs -> Advanced and tick *Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library* and *Keep iTunes music folder organized*.

My goals are to be efficient and clean with this "restart". I just want music located in one place - for organization and also don't want it in 2 places wasting space.

If you do not want copies of music, do this.
Quit iTunes.
Move all your music directly into the /Music/iTunes/iTunes music folder. Don't worry about correct folder names or anything.
Once you have it all in there, open iTunes then File -> Add to library and select the iTunes music folder.

In the future, once you add a file to iTunes it will get copied into the iTunes music folder. After that, delete the original if you want.

Dec 7, 2008 10:20 AM in response to Chris CA

Hello
I am interested in all "duplicate songs" posting because I want to syncronize my itunes in two machines.
Is there a way to get itunes to recognize a new file or folder that I drop inside the itunes music folder? Winamp seems to do this by "supervising" folders.
I want to use a syncing utility so that I can find which files are missing in each computer and then just copy and paste those missing files.
Thank you.

Dec 8, 2008 2:17 PM in response to Chris CA

ok... so i i just made sure all my music is all together in 1 folder and i am going to trash my old music folder that is in the itunes folder... and follow your directions - let itunes start w/new library and bring my music in. Well, last little hurdle/question. I noticed that the place where my itunes library is - on an external drive doesnt have much space left on it. The place where i gathered all my music together in order to start fresh - is a different external drive and has LOTS of free space on it.

SO... i now would like to just keep all that freshly compiled clean music right where it is but in advanced preferences I want to point to that new folder on the drive that has so much more space. So... should i delete the old music then go into itunes with a blank library and change the folder in preferences - quit and go back in and then follow your steps to loading my music? If i change the setting of where itunes looks for the music - that doesn't wipe out the old stuff... it just mixes it all up together right? I dont want that!!

i promise this is the last question - i would love to fix this problem tonight and just be DONE!

Thanks in advance for your patience and knowledge!!
Lisa

Dec 8, 2008 2:31 PM in response to lgcnyc

One thing to help prevent confusion...
*iTunes library* is the *iTunes library file* in the Tunes folder and also it is everything you see when you open iTunes. It is not the *iTunes music folder* or the *iTunes folder*.

I noticed that the place where my itunes library is -

The *iTunes folder* or the iTunes music folder?

Do this...
Click the icon to launch iTunes then immediately press and hold the *Option * key.
Select *Create new library*. Select the external hard drive with all the music.
This will create a new *iTunes folder* on that drive.
Move all your music directly into the _iTunes music folder_ in this new folder. Don't worry about correct folder names or anything. iTunes will take care of it.
Once you have it all in there, File -> Add to library and select the iTunes music folder on the external.

No need to change the iTunes music folder location in iTunes prefs. It should already be pointing to this new folder.

ONce you are sure you have everything in iTunes you want, you can delete the music wherever else it is.

What is best way to delete itunes library? I need to "reload"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.