Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows on my Powerbook G4

I have just started studying to be an accountant and I need to be able to run SAGE Instant Accounts on my Powerbook but, SAGE does not work on OSX.

I went into Apple Premium Seller in Brighton and explained that I have a Powerbook G4 and that I need to get Windows working on my it so, that I can install the software. The 'expert' suggested that I get Bootcamp and that will allow me to install Windows. As Bootcamp is included in OSX 10.5 I upgraded to it from OSX 10.4.

I have since found out that Bootcamp will not work on my Powerbook G4 as it is does not have Intel. I do not know what to do now. I am vaguely aware that you can have Windows XP running on a Powerbook G4 as my friend has 'Virtual PC' on his but, he does not know where to get it from or how much it will cost as he was given the laptop by his dad.

Please can someone tell me the cheapest/best way for me to get windows working on my Powerbook G4?

powerbook G4 15" 1.5hz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 8, 2008 8:31 AM

11 replies

Dec 8, 2008 9:55 AM in response to antkershaw

Yes, Boot Camp or Parallels is only for Intel Macs. I am not aware of any easy answers for G4 owners now. Virtual PC was acquired and discontinued by Microsoft. While there is some support for the last versions sofar as security updates, it is my understanding that Virtual PC, and Windows XP are not being sold anymore to the general public. Perhaps you could find a used or new-old-stock copy. It runs poorly at best anyway.

IIRC, there were some other hacks for running Windows on G4s, but I am not sure. All interest disappeared with the introduction of Intel Macs that could run Windows natively.

Dec 21, 2008 9:38 AM in response to PBookie

Microsoft is no more interested in having people copy Virtual PC freely than it is in letting them copy Windows. VPC is still fully protected. There are other emulators, but all of them are slow as molasses. For anyone needing to run Windows software on a Mac, a new Intel-based Mac is the only sensible option.

Dec 21, 2008 9:51 AM in response to antkershaw

Thanks, for all your help everyone.

As I only need to runs windows to use the SAGE software that my accountancy course uses, it would be a little unecessary to buy a second macbook just for that given the price and that my current macbook suits all my needs.

I do not mind which of the emulators I use as I can live with the slow performance, but I only really know about virtual pc.

Is there a recommended emulator that I can download or shall I just purchase a copy of virtual pc from amazon?

Dec 21, 2008 11:23 AM in response to antkershaw

VPC is by far the best of the emulators, so if you're willing to pay for it, that's the way to go. Remember that you'll also have to buy a copy of Windows, and you should be sure to have plenty of hard drive space available for your Windows virtual disk, in addition to the 5-10GB of free space that OS X wants at all times.

Jan 5, 2009 7:22 PM in response to antkershaw

antkershaw:

I can't remember how I did it, since it is now many years ago. Here are directions from VPC help:

Install the version of Windows included with Virtual PC 7
Use the Create New PC Assistant to install the virtual machine and Microsoft Windows operating system that is included with Microsoft Virtual PC. Do not use this method to install any other operating system.
In Virtual PC, on the File menu, click New.
On the Select a Setup Method screen, click Install from a Virtual PC for Mac CD, and then click Begin.
Insert the Virtual PC 7 CD into the CD drive of your Macintosh, and then click Continue.
In the Name box, type the name for your virtual machine, such as Windows XP Professional.
You can either accept the name that is provided, or you can create your own name. If you do not create a name, Virtual PC uses the name of the operating system that you are installing, for example, Windows XP Professional.
To install the configuration information and operating system files for your virtual machine, do one of the following:
To accept the default location, click Install.
By default, the Assistant installs the configuration information and operating system files for your virtual machine in the User/Documents/Virtual PC List folder on your Macintosh hard disk.
To select a different location, click Change Location, select a location, and then click Install.
On the Getting Started screen, click Start Windows.
You are now ready to finish configuring your Windows operating system. For more information about configuring a Windows operating system, see About Configuring Windows.
Important You cannot create a new virtual machine in Virtual PC 7 by installing the version of Windows that is included with an earlier version of Virtual PC. If you want to create a new virtual machine by using a Virtual PC version 5.x or Virtual PC version 6.x CD, you must first create the virtual machine in Virtual PC 5 x or Virtual PC 6.x, and then import the virtual machine into Virtual PC 7. To use the Import command, however, the virtual machine must also run a supported operating system.

😉 cornelius

Windows on my Powerbook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.