Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IR-Remote, Menu-Key, Dock and iPod

Hi!
As proud iPod (4th gen. click-wheel) owner I bought the new version of the dock and the IR-remote.
I can now start, pause and skip songs... but the darn menu-key is without function. As far as I am concerned this key should work like the menu key on my iPod.
I searched the site and found no information - anyone else got this problem or is my remote broken?
Thanks for you help.

Posted on Oct 22, 2005 3:49 PM

3 replies

Nov 2, 2005 11:36 AM in response to Jan Reif

Hi there,

I just bought an iPod video along with a Universal Dock and an IR Remote. My goal was to control my iPod from across the room and play music and video through my TV.

I have to say that the implementation of the Apple Remote with the iPod Universal Dock is awful. Honestly I would have expected more from Apple. All the remote allows you to do is play, pause, volume up and down, ff and rewind, and skip song back and forth.

The remote does not allow you to choose an artist, album, or video stream. It does not allow you to navigate the menus at all! Also, the menu button has absolutely no function.

I am really looking forward to a software update to fix this. I am a professional software manager, and would be happy to write a spec for how the remote should function with the Universal Dock. Apple, if you're interested let me know. I would do it for free just to have a correctly functioning remote!

Thanks,
Robert--

Nov 4, 2005 6:28 AM in response to Robert Lindsley1

I agree. Had exactly the same feelings when I first used it. It is so silly the menu button doesn't work.

I am sure the reasoning behind it is, that if you are close enough to see the screen you do not need a remote for menu navigation. However there are "in-between" situations. Mine is close enough to read the screen (about 80cm), but too far to press the buttons, so a remote with full functionality would have been a welcome addition. Hopefully there will be a software update to address this. Currently it is just sitting in my drawer - filed under useless.

Alex

IR-Remote, Menu-Key, Dock and iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.