Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Weird jumps

439 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2005 2:31 AM by Michael Copeland RSS
kevs55 Level 2 Level 2 (200 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 27, 2005 2:31 AM
I find that sometimes my ipod with end one song and then jump like 20 songs forward/backward. It's very erratic. anyone notice this?
  • btabz Level 7 Level 7 (26,635 points)
    Oct 23, 2005 1:19 PM (in response to kevs55)
    Kevin,

See if resetting your iPod helps...
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

btabz
  • Michael Copeland Calculating status...
    Oct 23, 2005 5:20 PM (in response to kevs55)
    Mine also does this - resetting doesn't help.
  • michelle fertenbaugh Calculating status...
    Oct 23, 2005 5:31 PM (in response to kevs55)
    mine does this too and i've also found that resetting doesn't help very much.
  • Rocka-elle Calculating status...
    Oct 23, 2005 5:38 PM (in response to kevs55)
    My iPod starting not just jumping a few songs, but it continuously scrolls the entire play list without playing anything! Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?
  • Aaron Harpole Calculating status...
    Oct 23, 2005 5:52 PM (in response to Rocka-elle)
    the iPod will skip over a song file if it is corrupted at all. perhaps that's the case with you. Try restoring your iPod and have everything recopied back into it.
  • Thomas Mowbray Calculating status...
    Oct 23, 2005 7:30 PM (in response to kevs55)
    Are the songs it is skipping over "purchased" music from iTunes?
  • Jason Davis2 Calculating status...
    Oct 24, 2005 8:32 AM (in response to kevs55)
    I'm having the exact same problem except for any music I have purchased through the iTunes store. Music from the iTunes store plays fine but everything else I have added from a CD doesn't play at all...it does the whole constant skipping of songs through the entire library. It didn't do this until I installed the latest iPod software update. I wonder if it has anything to do with that...
  • Aaron Harpole Level 2 Level 2 (385 points)
    Oct 24, 2005 10:15 AM (in response to Jason Davis2)
    Perhaps your encoder is screwed up. Also, I am suspicious that some recent CD's have algorithms built into the sound that corrupt the sound when you rip a CD, as an anti-copying measure (something I really disagree with, given the widespread use of MP3 players nowadays). Try restoring your iPod to an earlier firmware version if you are certain that the problem didn't exist before.
  • Stephanie Boler Calculating status...
    Oct 24, 2005 10:29 AM (in response to Thomas Mowbray)
    I am ahving the same problem with my purchased music and restoring does not help. I have only purchased music from I-tunes. Also, I am pretty sure that this started with the last round of updates. Has anyone else noticed a correlation?
  • Michelle Boockmeier Calculating status...
    Oct 26, 2005 5:08 PM (in response to kevs55)
    My iPod also recently started doing this crazy skipping thing. It randomly skips through songs and plays some of them and ignores others. It will pause in the middle of songs for about 5 seconds and has been making a weird clicking noise like something inside is trying to "catch" but can't. Any advice? It seems to have started with the latest updates. It's not under warranty anymore!!
  • eric guarino Calculating status...
    Oct 26, 2005 7:45 PM (in response to kevs55)
    thats the first step towards disaster. my ipod did that about a month ago, and now it wont turn on at all. same thing happened to my friends. pretty soon your gonna see a folder with an "!" on it, and then u know ur screwed.
  • Michael Copeland Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)
    Oct 27, 2005 2:31 AM (in response to kevs55)
    Mine has now been doing this and making the screeching noises for over a year now - still works ok, but does skip a lot of songs on the playlist - but it didn't completely die!

Waiting for the hype of the 5th gen to die down then i'll get one of them - my 3rd gen is 3 years old now so it'll prob conk out any day now!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.