Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replying on iPhone doesn't flag the message as replied in Mail.app

When I reply to an email on the iPhone, it doesn't show the "reply" flag inside of Mail.app on the Mac.

Obviously this is annoying since sometimes I forget if I replied to an email or not.

Is there any way to fix this behavior? 😟

G5 + MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 10, 2008 1:50 AM

16 replies

Dec 12, 2008 10:29 AM in response to badtz

As Kevin provided, this is only possible with an IMAP or Exchange account.

All server stored mailboxes with an IMAP or Exchange account are kept synchronized with the server automatically with each email client used to access the account.

Although it is possible to access a POP account with more than one email client, a POP account is designed to be accessed with a single email client only. The only mailbox available with a POP account when accessing the account with more than one email client is the account's Inbox mailbox with new messages received at the incoming mail server for the account downloaded by each email client used to access the account. The account's Inbox mailbox is not kept synchronized with the server as is available for all server stored mailboxes with an IMAP or Exchange account.

Dec 14, 2008 9:36 AM in response to badtz

This is actually a known issue with the iPhone, as it doesn't work with Exchange either. If I forward or reply to a message on the iPhone it won't show up as replied to or forwarded in the Exchange mailbox. There have been some other threads here about this, but so far it hasn't been fixed, and as is traditional, there's no word on whether it will be fixed or not in the future. It is a real problem though, as when you're checking your mail in Entourage or Outlook after being out and using your iPhone, you can't easily tell what was just read and what was replied to.

Jan 5, 2009 1:34 AM in response to badtz

Mandel23 is correct, this is a known issue. It is beyond me why Apple wouldn't fix something like this right away, as it can't be but a few lines of code involved.

Allan, I'm not sure you are grasping the issue at hand. First you seem to think it has something to do with POP access (when no one is talking about POP), and then you state that it is "working as designed and intended" for you. If it is working for you then you must have a "special" build of the firmware.

As the original poster stated, this is extremely annoying as you can't tell if you replied to an email or not when you are viewing your email in Outlook, Entourage, Mail.app, or any other mail client.

Mar 26, 2009 10:26 AM in response to dlong500

I know I am jumping an old post but this is still an issue with me and my clients! I am a computer consultant that works with Exchange extensively and this to me is a real outrage. All my clients ran out and bought an iphone because Apple trumpeted how they leased ActiveSync from MS and will support corporate email. Well, they should learn how to implement it! I have an iphone too and this is a real bummer! Wonder if 3.0 software will cure this??? PROBABLY NOT!

Jul 1, 2009 4:31 AM in response to badtz

Solution for synchronization of tasks.
We (themessagecenter) have successfully tested and confirmed that the iPhone application 'tasktask' ( http://www.apptism.com/apps/tasktask) works with our exchange services! We fully support this application and have a walk through on how to set it up with our service at support.themessagecenter.com > Mobile Device Support > iPhone > iPhone task sync

Please let me know you have any questions.

Replying on iPhone doesn't flag the message as replied in Mail.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.