Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I sign on for webmail?

I recently tried to install a new Netgear wireless router from my Mac. This failed and invoked the "Network Settings have changed" glitsch, which I resolved. From that time (I think) I have been unable to log in to two email accounts, one for my website (Mail) and one for client site webmail (Safari) (I am a freelancer). Another client's webmail on Outlook Web Access works ok.

In Mail I get "the connection to the server timed out" and on the Safari Webmail I get "could not log on with the information supplied" (though it works on other machines).

I switched the port to 587 for my website account and that made no difference.

I don't want to delete the plist files from Library as it is the current settings that are wrong. Or is that the best next step?

thanks

Otherwise, internet and Mail for my other POP and IMAP accounts are working fine.

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 10, 2008 4:33 AM

10 replies

Dec 11, 2008 3:07 PM in response to Nicholas Russell

Hi dustyfeet, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, use Keychain First Aid under the Window Menu item, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Maybe, Go to System Preferences: Security. Check the box next to "Require password to unlock each secure system preference." Then lock Security.

Jan 12, 2009 1:51 AM in response to BDAqua

I have a website that a friend set up for me, on which I have a POP account. I have set it up as an account in Mail, and although the username and password are correct, it won't work. It does on my iphone however, so it's not the account/server.

I am a local councillor and want to access the Council's email (London Borough of Camden: https://webmail.lbcamden.net/) via their webmail facility. Every time I try to log on it says "could not log on with the information supplied", whether using Safari or Firefox. Again, my iphone connects to it satisfactorily, and my security details work on other machines.

Another client offers a webmail service via Outlook Web Access, for an additional address they have created for me, and that is working satisfactorily.

Jan 12, 2009 10:27 AM in response to Nicholas Russell

Does Mail on the MB work for anything?

On the Camden site, are you using the Basic or fast psge setting?

Did you check the Private Computer in the past? (Stores Cookies in your Browser I think)

Just checking... the iPhone isn't connected to it when you try the MB is it?

We might have to try deleting the Cookie(s) for that site, or the entry in Keychain Access for it.

Jan 12, 2009 4:59 PM in response to BDAqua

Bloody ****! I just clicked the slow connection 'button' and got straight in! I have never tried that before because I assumed it was for dial-up and I am always on Broadband. Maybe it refers to network vs broadband.

And it didn't even offer me 'basic' or other choices, it just worked.

I'm embarrassed but happy.

Yes my other POP accounts work in Mail; maybe it's a different problem. Much less important anyway.

Many, many thanks for getting me to try the right thing!

why can't I sign on for webmail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.