Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Word Freezing Repeatedly, Application Not Responding

Just wondering if anyone else was having issues with Microsoft Word from MS Office 2008, where you open the application, you type a few sentences, and the application freezes with the spinning circle of death that won't go away until you click the dock where it says "application not responding" and do a force-quit? You can leave the circle spinning for 10-20-30 minutes, and it never goes away.

Now for the weird part--this error only happens for me when I'm using a specific document on my computer. I can open Word, start a new document, type several paragraphs of text, and it works fine. But I've been working on an existing paper for about two months that all of a sudden started causing these freezes/crashes when editing it. It's about 30 pages roughly, no images, no big inserts that would take up a lot of memory (116 kb in size). And up until today, there were no problems. So why all of a sudden can't I edit anything on this paper without freezing the program?! I downloaded the Microsoft Office 2008 Service Pack 1 that was just released after this problem started, and ran all the recent Java and program updates through Software Update with computer restarts. I even copied the text from the Word document I was working on, pasted it into a new document, tried saving it as both .doc and .docx, and again the program still freezes when working with that text in a new file. This one baffles me. It's like the text within a document is somehow freezing the application. One thing I did notice is that the freezes seem to happen when I'm scrolling using a mouse wheel. Not always, but quite a bit. I suppose this is some memory issue related to several pages of text that the program can't render or process when you add new lines of text or scroll, but again, I can't figure why this paper I've been working on for months all of a sudden decided to start freezing Word today. Can you really only have 30 double-spaced pages of text in Word before it crashes?

Looks like I've found my reason to switch to Open Office, since I'm 3-4 days out from a deadline. Any other solution strategies would be welcome. Thanks.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Dec 10, 2008 12:02 PM

14 replies

Dec 10, 2008 1:34 PM in response to kevmadisboom

I would suspect an issue with either the document or the block sectors the document is written to on your hard drive. I would try to open the document and do a Save As (keep the same name) to say your desktop. Then quit Word. Then launch Word and open the document on your desktop and see if you still have the issues. If no issues then trash the original document.

Dec 11, 2008 1:15 PM in response to sig

I've been having the same trouble. I'm using Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac Version 11.2 on my OS 10.5.5. machine. My document will freeze when I am typing. Mostly capital letters L and S sometimes the decimal symbol "." will case the program to freeze. My document is 167 kilobytes, larger documents do not have this problem. I also notice that it also always happens when I am modifying text that I had on the clip-board at some point (i.e. cut and paste from another document). I have not had trouble with larger files. If you are patient, it will respond again in about 10 to 20 minutes. It happens so often that it is a pain. Hopefully this helps...

Dec 23, 2008 3:51 PM in response to Benjamin Burger

There are numerous reports of keyboard problems with Office 2004 (not coded for Intel processors) on Intel Macs. An older program written for the PowerPC processor can only run on an Intel Mac by using the Rosetta technology built into the Intel version of OSX to translate the older code for the newer processor. Apparently, something about Office 2004 has a problem with the translation on some Intel Macs.

I have Office 2008 on my MBP and it has not exhibited any problems. However, it runs no faster on the 2.2G MBP than it does on my G4 1.25G Mirrored Drive Door,

Feb 4, 2009 12:45 PM in response to Allan Jones

I have a similar problem: Word (2004) freezes but only when I have Endnote Open (bibliography software) AND I use the wheel button to scroll. The only way I can unfreeze is to click-hold on the Word icon in the Dock and move to a different opened document. If I only have one document open then the only thing I can do is force quit from the apple icon and I loose changes made since the last save. I am using a Logitech mouse and have not tried to go back to the Apple mouse to see if I have the same problem... No other application has the same problem even PowerPoint or Excel, so I think it has to do with Word and EndNote working together and running out of memory.

Apr 21, 2009 2:13 PM in response to kevmadisboom

Hi, please HELP. I am having the same issue. I notice it when I have more than 1 word document open and I try to switch between them both that I get the spinning beach ball for about 5 minutes. I have too downloaded the latest service pack for office for mac 2008 and I have a brand new MBPro with 4G Ram and ample hard drive space, so I am very frustrated that this is happening. At this rate, I am going to have to login to XP on my virtual library using VM Fusion just to use MS Word!! Crazy!! Someone help me!

May 13, 2009 7:21 PM in response to kevmadisboom

I just bought my MacBook yesterday and had the same problem with some of my word files. I called the tech support at microsoft and he knew what the problem was. office mac 2008 cannot handle files which have multiple languages. so what you need to do is select the entire text in the file (command A) then chose language, unselect the spell check as you go button, click English as the language you want, and then click on default.
that fixed my problem.

May 22, 2009 12:03 PM in response to Peter Mathias

Same problem here - Microsoft Word 2008 (update 12.1.7) will open fine, and then start the spinning pizza of death. Only way out is to force-quit the app. I've tried:

1) deleting plist and font cache files
2) uninstalling MS Office 2008, reinstalling and then re-applying updates 12.1.0 and 12.1.7
3) confirming that Apple's Font Card.app can verify all fonts

No luck. Currently I can't open any MS word doc without the spinning pizza of death.

If you are lucky enough that these symptoms only happen with a specific Word .doc file, I would see if the PC-originator could re-save the file as .RTF and resend. If you can then open it OK, you could revert back to .doc (or .docx) format. RTF format is Microsoft's interchange format. If there are anomalies in the .doc file, saving as .RTF can sometimes clean them up. Once done, you can revert back to native MS Word format.

...b

Jun 1, 2009 10:01 AM in response to dr.mew

I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday w/ Apple 'support' trying to get the color wheel to stop spinning. We tried everything but it wouldn't stop spinning. As a last resort we did a Recover Files
(it worked...!).... Changed formatting in the document but at least the text is there and I can work
with it. Seemed to be a problem of pasting text w/ hyperlinks from the internet into the word doc.

Microsoft Word Freezing Repeatedly, Application Not Responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.