Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone - phone doesn't work!

Okay - I can hear nothing on the phone. I can make calls, microphone works as folk can hear me and I can hear my own answer phone messages. I can hear nothing on speaker, the handset or a headset. I know that the speaker works as I can play my iPod and listen to answer messages...

I've reset and reloaded the software numerous times. Nothing. I wish I could try reverting to a pre 2.2 version as I think that is the problem.

iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.5.5), G4

Posted on Dec 11, 2008 11:03 AM

6 replies

Feb 5, 2009 9:42 AM in response to Calvin Bailey

Yesterday (2/4/09) this happened to me. Same symptoms - people could hear me but I couldn't hear the phone dial or the people on the other end. I did hear the ringer but not the speaker. I only had the phone since Oct. 8. Tried everything on the forum - reset, headset in and out, turned off bluetooth. Finally called Applecare. It was a hardware problem and they replaced the phone. Funny thing - one minute the phone is fine, the next it failed.

iPhone - phone doesn't work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.