Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a 3G Iphone (Original Blackberry User)

Hey wassup everyone....im new to this forum and im very interested in purchasing an Apple 3G Iphone. Comming from a Blackberry Curve, my expectations are very high for the iphone and i had a few questions:

-WHat are a couple of the pros and cons of the new iphone?
-IS it worth leaving a blackberry behind?
-And simply, is it worth the money?

...Any help would be appreciated, thanks! 🙂

Windows Vista

Posted on Dec 11, 2008 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2008 3:32 PM

A personal perspective:

"WHat are a couple of the pros and cons of the new iphone?"

- Pro1: genuine Internet operation
- Pro2: integrated services to improve support for 'lifestyle' issues
- Con1: no MMS for those who can't work out how to use email properly and fully
- Con2: too many options for Apps with too few clues about 'good' vs. 'bad'

"IS it worth leaving a blackberry behind?"

- Blackberry? Have you ever had blackberry & apple, apple, or blackberry? 'Yes', if there's a choice, 100%, leave the blackberry behind!

"And simply, is it worth the money?"

- Yes, every penny but only if you're prepared to understand how to use it properly.....

Hope that helps and answers the questions.... 🙂
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2008 3:32 PM in response to P Weezy

A personal perspective:

"WHat are a couple of the pros and cons of the new iphone?"

- Pro1: genuine Internet operation
- Pro2: integrated services to improve support for 'lifestyle' issues
- Con1: no MMS for those who can't work out how to use email properly and fully
- Con2: too many options for Apps with too few clues about 'good' vs. 'bad'

"IS it worth leaving a blackberry behind?"

- Blackberry? Have you ever had blackberry & apple, apple, or blackberry? 'Yes', if there's a choice, 100%, leave the blackberry behind!

"And simply, is it worth the money?"

- Yes, every penny but only if you're prepared to understand how to use it properly.....

Hope that helps and answers the questions.... 🙂

Dec 11, 2008 3:29 PM in response to P Weezy

I've never had a BB because I've never liked the interface.

I love the large screen, full internet access (no cached pages delivered by the network), lots of apps, easy to use, plays well with Mac.

If MMS is a big deal to you or forwarding dumb jokes through SMS, the iPhone does not do either of these things. Email is used in place of MMS. There is also no tethering plan for the iPhone yet.

Dec 11, 2008 3:34 PM in response to P Weezy

iphone doesn't have flash or copy and paste or video recording capabilities....

if those are important to you... the iphone is not your friend...

I've had other smartphones based on the windows mobile 6 platform and they all suc**d.

If you want a phone you don't have to reboot multiple times a day and a phone that does what you tell it too... then the iphone is your friend.

I love mine and I would never give it up for any other phone.

Dec 11, 2008 3:40 PM in response to P Weezy

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS...THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL AND ARE GONNA PLAY A BIG PART IN ME DECIDING ON WHETHER TO LEAVE MY BB BEHIND OR NOT..

I really appreciate "restlessfool" in particular for giving me such detailed answers. Now...i must contemplate lol. And for the person that was saying that the iphone doesnt have flash or video recording capabilities, thats kind of a good thing because im not really interested in the camera. i just think of the iphone having a camera as an added bonus. Not really necessary.

So now...i contemplate lol..

Dec 11, 2008 4:58 PM in response to P Weezy

I think you got some pretty info here but keep in mind we are all iPhone users so there might be some bias. 🙂

Look here for an iPhone review from a blackberry user's perspective.
http://crackberry.com/roundrobin-crackberry-goes-frenemy-1-iphone-3g

The basic gist is that iPhone is more geared towards entertainment and user interface while the BB is more "business" and efficiency. I'm not saying I agree with him but he makes some very good points.

I really like my iPhone but there are quite a few improvements I'd like to see beyond just MMS or SMS forwarding.

The screen transitions and animations look very cool but can occasionally get in the way if you just want to get things done (especially when you're frustrated to begin with ;)). For example, the "slide to unlock" screen is very impressive but sometimes I find it frustrating. I don't understand why they couldn't do "slide to unlock" on the main homescreen so I can see if I have any messages before unlocking. Most of of the time, it's no big deal.

Another problem I have is that there's no indication of whether you have a message or not without turning the phone on. SMS has repeating alerts but emails don't. I occasionally miss the initial email alert and then realize a few hours later that I had an urgent email sitting in my inbox. Also, the iPhone has limited push-email support which is not a big problem most of the time but if I'm waiting for an email, I'd have to constantly check the inbox every few minutes to make sure I catch it on time.

These are purely from my experience and I know that a lot of people don't feel the same way as me.

Dec 11, 2008 5:19 PM in response to Kevin Liu

"For example, the "slide to unlock" screen is very impressive but sometimes I find it frustrating. I don't understand why they couldn't do "slide to unlock" on the main homescreen so I can see if I have any messages before unlocking."

Why bother at all when you can configure the iPhone to show the messages without unlocking? Yes, some people hate this facility (perhaps because they don't like their spouses seeing who is messaging them?) but just because some people lie and steal and cheat doesn't mean that we should all be denied such protection, does it?

"SMS has repeating alerts but emails don't"

Personally I can't see why that would be important with the iPhone....if I am worried about emails then the red circle with the number of unread emails is definitely good enough for me!

I know a lot of people who don't feel the same way as me too, and I would never choose to go for a beer with them either!

Dec 11, 2008 5:37 PM in response to P Weezy

I have been a blackberry user for years, and indeed still am, I have a company Curve. We have about 1000 Blackberry users, and as CIO of that company I insisted we keep the blackberries.

I expect to leave the company, and needed a personal phone with good e-mail. I ended up buying the iPhone. I spent a lot of time considering the Storm, or even the Bold, but ended up with the iPhone.

Good decision? Not completely sure. But so far I think so.

With respect to company usage, Blackberry is a better choice. Not so much because of individual use, but all the policy and control and security issues are better suited to a corporate environment. And frankly e-mail has more control - filters, wireless activation, etc. And there is no question in my mind that a company benefits from ONE platform, two is almost twice the expense from a labor perspective, if not more. And if I have to pick one, Blackberry.

But for a personal phone, so far I prefer the iPohone. The browser is no comparison better, exchange (which I use) and active sync actually is BETTER than blackberry for personal use -- faster, more consistent reconciliation, easier to set up.

I had no real interest and did not use tasks and notes -- those are two things Blackberry does and iPhone does not. I didn't care; others might care a lot.

Blackberry has deeper applications available, and you can write your own without waiting for the blessing of Apple. Me? Who cares -- I like that they are vetted, I like the stability that come with it. 10,000+ applications are plenty.

The form factor on the iphone is better (at least relative to the bold or curve).

I don't like the propietary cables, etc. Pain in the ... but it's not a big deal.

At first I was irritated that you couldn't replace the battery or have a sprea don the iphone, but I really thought about it, and realized while I had a spare on the curve I had never actually needed it (I will admit the curve battery lasts longer).

The camera on the curve is MUCH, MUCH better. No comparison. I have a Nikon for taking real pictures, don't care. Some might care a lot. Camera *****. (same pixels by the way, and I actually had them swap my phone by the way, because it was so bad - no change).

Music, videos - no comparison. iPhone. Though frankly I could care less.

User interface -- again, no comparison - iPhone. MUCH nicer. Both neat and more usable EXCEPT -- I do miss the keyboard a bit. Maybe 20% of the time. I'm getting better at the virtual keyboard, if it was landscape I would be happy (I have a 3rd party tool, but that's not quite the same).

So far so good, I don't think you will be disappointe,d but it is different. And there are some very definite pro's on the blackberry side.

Dec 11, 2008 5:59 PM in response to Linwood_Ferguson

You have some very good points, I do agree that BBs and iPhones are designed around totally different philosophies. I had hoped the Storm would be the best of both worlds but that turned out to be a dud.

Apple is getting there in terms of business-oriented services but they still have some ways to go. I seriously hope a "iPhone Pro" will come out. 🙂

Buying a 3G Iphone (Original Blackberry User)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.