Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I get a mouse for Mac OS 9? New ones say they're for Mac OS X.

Any one know where I can get a new mouse for OS 9? the ones at the store all say you need 10.4...This computer does have a manually install USB port, anyone know what will work or where to get one?

macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 12, 2008 4:53 PM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2010 5:29 AM in response to Jake Gulick

Just get a plain two button mouse. In OS 9 you may not have all the features that you would have in OS X, but it should still work. The package probably means that it is compatible with 10.4 & USB 2.0, but it will work at lower OSs & USB1.1.

I use a two button/scroll wheel PC type mouse with my G3 laptop running OS 9 & Tiger. You could probably go to a used computer store & get a mouse for a few $.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

User uploaded file

Oct 20, 2010 5:30 AM in response to Jake Gulick

Hi, Jake -

Often one button on a multi-button mouse will be recognized as a default mouse button and be usable before the mouse software has loaded.

Regarding mouse software, my experience has been that Microsoft, Logitech, and Kensington mouses are usually okay from a hardware perspective, but that their software falls a bit short, especially with regard to scroll wheels.

I use Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer mouses with my G4s running OS 9 (I've also tried both Kensington and Logitech mouses, but prefer the shape and feel of the MS ones).

However, instead of installing the MS software that came with them, I use USB Overdrive - it makes all of the mouse features smoothly available including all five buttons and the scrollwheel, yet needs no extra extensions in order to do that - just a control panel (it does install a couple of extra extensions, but these can be disabled when using a mouse). One of the features of USBOD I especially like is that you can have different functions set for each of the buttons in different programs, and the mouse behavior changes automatically to the set for the active program, on the fly.

Where can I get a mouse for Mac OS 9? New ones say they're for Mac OS X.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.