Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing page numbers

Hello,
can anyone tell me how to remove page numbers? I have inserted them (NOT) in the footer, but rather on the lower right hand side of the document and cannot remove them and in fact, even "select" (click) them at all.
I went through all possible menu, inspector settings and can not find any solution.

Thank you,
M.

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2008 5:59 PM

9 replies

Dec 13, 2008 6:47 PM in response to mozyhar

Welcome to Apple Discussions

Did this document start life as a Word document? I've seen that mentioned several times in this forum. I found this thread, but couldn't find any recent ones with a solution (if there was one). Since the search terms I used was "Word AND page AND number" the search engine returned every post with all of those words or variations of them. You could try the search looking for posts older than 90 days.

User uploaded file

Dec 13, 2008 8:34 PM in response to Peggy

Thank you for the answer,

yes - the document unfortunately started as MS Word. I am helping someone to design his thesis, and he started with MS Word of course....
It seems, that it is exatly what the person said in a previous post - the page number is sort of a background picture.

I'll try to search in other posts, maybe someone found out how to remove it.

M.

Dec 19, 2008 6:02 AM in response to mozyhar

Hi M.,

This issue has been a curiosity to me too. I believe that the answer is illusive because of the complexity of the mechanisms. It seems to me that that whenever I have encountered this problem, the persistent content was a Master Object. To begin, Format > Advanced > Make Master Objects Selectable. One would think that if this is the solution, it would be a simple matter to now select the tenacious item and delete it. The problem, I think, is that sometimes the object while now supposedly selectable is still not accessible.

This Master Object can hide behind the Header box, as though the Header was a solid glass wall. Deselecting the Header function, in the Document Inspector will give you access, but it will also irretrievably delete your Header Content. A better way, I have found, is to change the header Margin figure in the Document Margins Pane of the Document Inspector.

Once you have moved the Top Header, or whatever else might be sharing the space, off the persistent page number, you can click on the page number Graphic and hit Delete. Now you can put your Header Margin back where it belongs, and you're done.

Jerry

Removing page numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.