You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening old SoundEdit 16 files...

I found some old SoundEdit 16 files I made in college. However, both SE 16 v1 and v2 crash instantly after launch when running Classic on my 12" Powerbook.

So are there any current audio apps that can read layered SoundEdit files? If not, what are some of the last Macs that can still boot into Mac OS 8?

8-Core 3.0GHz (late 2008), 16GB, 5TB, Nvidia 8800, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Dec 13, 2008 10:42 PM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2008 12:49 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

Is SoundEdit properly installed in the Classic environment? Some programs install special features in the System Folder and it is possible that these didn't get installed in the Classic environment.

Classic isn't the same as running OS9. It is an emulator and OSX is really still in control. Some programs require close interaction with the System and when you run Classic it isn't really Classic's multimedia programs in charge of that end of thing but OSX's. Multimedia programs are typical in this requirement and many OS9 AV programs don't work in Classic since they have to interact closely with a radically different operating system.

SoundEdit files seem to be pretty proprietary. [SoundConverter|http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18047] may be able to convert them, though the utility seems to receive pretty lukewarm reviews.

Dec 14, 2008 1:35 AM in response to Navarro Parker -

ResEdit ?, or even iTunes ? I've used both for some of my old SoundEdit files. I also used SoundConverter to get older sounds into the System 7 sound format which is easily imported into iTunes.

There's also SoundLeech (from System 6 days) for those really stubborn sounds that just won't work. Very little chance of it working under Classic tho', but if the SoundEdit documents are important, you can go down a Mac+ or Mac II emulation route to run some of these.

Edit:
This has come up before more than once in the discussions, maybe we gave the same advice then ...

Opening old SoundEdit 16 files...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.