Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Output Format for Slide Show?

If I were to purchase Final Cut Studio...

What would be the best output format to use for a simple slideshow intended for Web deployment? In other words, which encoding method will provide the best compromise between file size and video quality? The slideshow is a series of simple static images with some fade transitions and Ken Burns effects. There is also a soundtrack for background music.

A 1.5 minute slideshow with soundtrack created using Adobe Flash is less than 2 MB in size (which is great for Web deployment), and it looks very good. If that same slideshow is exported from Flash to a QuickTime-compatible format, it balloons to over 20 MB!

So what I'd really like to know is, if something like Final Cut Pro were used to create that same slideshow, would I be able to produce a web-ready video that rivals the Flash version in size?

Thanks for any help and insight you can provide,

-Steve

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2008 12:20 PM

7 replies

Dec 15, 2008 1:43 PM in response to Shotster

Quicktime is a file wrapper that can contain anyone of a number of codecs. H.264 is the prefered version for web/apple TV delivery.

That being said, Final Cut Pro is a video editing program and is a waste of money if all you are doing is simple slideshows. Have you tried iMovie then converting the output to either Flash or (if you have Quicktime Pro) converting to h.264 QT?

x

Dec 15, 2008 3:14 PM in response to Studio X

Studio X wrote:
Quicktime is a file wrapper that can contain anyone of a number of codecs.

Yes, I understand that.

H.264 is the prefered version for web/apple TV delivery.

A 90s slideshow that was less than 2 MB as a SWF file became a 27 MB behemoth when exported using the H.264 codec. The exported file had the same frame rate and resolution (pixel dimensions) as the original Flash file. The audio was optimized as well. Why the dramatic difference? (I think I know why, but perhaps I'm missing something.)

That being said, Final Cut Pro is a video editing program and is a waste of money if all you are doing is simple slideshows.

Slideshows are not all I will be doing, but I will be doing them occasionally, and it's hard to justify purchasing Flash just to create slideshows that are optimized for the Web.

Have you tried iMovie then converting the output to either Flash or (if you have Quicktime Pro) converting to h.264 QT?

My tests indicate that anything but Flash format results in a monstrous file for a simple slideshow. I have a notion as to why this is, but I wanted to check to make sure that I'm not overlooking some way of creating smaller non-Flash files.

The bottom line is that Final Cut Studio will be far more useful and versatile for what I need to do, and I would be much more proficient with that software; but if I can't output video files that rival those of Flash in terms of quality and file size, then I might have to get a copy of Flash after all.

And yes, you can convert a QuickTime movie to flash, but it's just not the same in terms of file size as generating the same slideshow directly in Flash. I suspect this is because Flash is optimized for animation, whereas the QuickTime codecs are designed for video, and a simple slideshow is more of an animation than a video.

So my real question is (and I suspect the answer is no), is it possible using Final Cut Studio to generate a simple slideshow which rivals the output from Flash in terms of file size for a given resolution?

-Steve

Dec 20, 2008 9:09 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Gary Scotland wrote:
Keynote,
http://www.apple.com/iwork/keynote/

To my knowledge, based on my (admittedly limited) use of Keynote, there is neither a timeline feature nor any way to adjust the timing of the slides relative to the soundtrack with any reasonable degree of precision (in order to get professional results). Trying to do so by guessing or "trial and error" would be an exercise in frustration and inefficiency.

If I've overlooked some capability of Keynote, please let me know.

Powerpoint,
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/powerpoint-2008-for-mac-full/product/891590 d3

PowerPoint is not an option. And besides, I own Keynote; I don't need another presentation package.

SWFslide $35
http://www.verticalmoon.com/products/swfnslide/swfnslide.htm

That looks interesting. I'll have to check into it to see if it provides the timing control I need to sync imagery with the soundtrack. I'll post back here with what I learn.

Thanks again. It never occurred to me to search for slideshow-specific software. I'll see what else I can uncover.

-Steve

Dec 24, 2008 11:17 AM in response to Shotster

There is no direct Flash output in Fotomagico

Have you changed your spec? You stated that you wanted an alternative to Flash:

''would I be able to produce a web-ready video that rivals the Flash version ''

Get Sorenson Squeeze if you want true Flash export:
http://www.sorensonmedia.com/products/?pageID=1&ppc=2&p=34

Fhotomagico export options are:

- proprietry file format

- export to web page using FTP iWeb etc

- Youtube

- Quicktime-plenty flavours there

- MPEG 4 - Flash Player can play back this without issues

Best Output Format for Slide Show?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.