Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Library from Internal/External to another External

Dear Apple Users & Staff,

I've been using a Western Digital Passport for the past year to save all my MP3s and Podcasts to use for iTunes, so my iTunes reads about 90% of the music from the Passport drive, but recently the Drive has gone bad and will not allow anymore to be written to it. And since then I've had been downloading the rest of my music and podcasts to regular internal hard drive. Now, I have picked up a new WD external drive, but I was wondering how can I ensure that I through iTunes software transfer all the library files (playlists, podcasts subscriptions, and music/mp3s) from the External HD and internal to my new external HD? Seems like it should be easy but probably time consuming. Any ideas? Thanks

Tomes

PowerBookG4 15'', Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 15, 2008 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2008 2:45 PM

Click here and follow the instructions.

(38806)
3 replies

Dec 15, 2008 3:06 PM in response to Tomio Toyama

I transferred my library to a time capsule using these instructions and now, every time I launch iTunes, I have to go into preferences and re-set the library's location on my time capsule (it's always set to the old library location, which I have deleted, it just re-creates the folders and leaves them empty). with a large library, this takes up to 15 minutes to update every time. Can someone explain why it's doing this, and how to prevent it?

Dec 16, 2008 5:50 PM in response to Niel

Okay, I followed the steps. But now every time I try to download new podcasts or play music, it just locks up as if it was attempting to load the song.

My question is when I change the settings does the music, playlists, and everything actually physically transfer from the internal and external drive to the new external drive? I realize I have to have both drives plugged in for that to happen. But it doesn't seem that the actual music is transferred to my new WD Passport. Why is it locking up though? Shouldn't it at least tell me that the music is being pulled from the wrong drive, instead of completely freezing on me. A problem that I have not really encountered with Apple software till now. Forcing me to Force Quit it every time I load it with the new external drive plugged in. I can run it fine from the old external and internal. But how do I get all that information to my new external? Thanks!

Tomes

Transferring Library from Internal/External to another External

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.