Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Numbers have a Database built in?

Excel has a very useable relational database built into the spreadsheet. It doesn't have the extensive capability of MS Access or OpenOffice Base, but it's a lot more functional than the old AppleWorks DB. But Excel can't use AW DB templates - I don't think any DB will import the AW DB templates.

Does Numbers in iWork 08 have a similar DB capability as Excel or will I still need a separate DB program like iList Data 3, Excel or OOo? I'd import the data but have to redo templates in any case.

I have some old AppleWorks DB files I need to translate quickly as AppleWorks and Leopard have, for me, become incompatible - too many "unexpected quits." There seems to be no way to move BOTH the data (that's easy enough) and the templates (impossible, it seems). Any replies appreciated.

McBook 2.16 3 GB RAM, PowerMac Dual 1.25 GHz G4 MDD, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 16, 2008 12:04 AM

7 replies

Dec 16, 2008 2:31 AM in response to MartyP

There is no database program in Numbers.

There is no program able to open the AW DB documents with all attributes.

If your DB files "quits" under Leopard, I assumes that they are corrupted.

It would be fine to clean them.

Open them in AW6
Save them as AppleWorks 5 files.
Open the AppleWorks 5 new files with AppleWorks 6.

Most of the oddities (not all) are removed during this process.

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE mardi 16 décembre 2008 11:31:05)

Dec 16, 2008 10:23 AM in response to MartyP

I have never heard that Excel has a "very useable relational database built into" Actually on researching your question a bit online I found multiple locations that state directly "In fact, it [excel] isn’t a relational database at all."

I would really like to know how your using excel as a realtional database, that could be very useful in my line of work.

Thanks,
Jason

Dec 18, 2008 8:39 AM in response to jaxjason

Hi jaxjason

The book "Excel as Your Database" might answer most questions you have about Excel's relational capabilities far better than I could. I just dabbled in it briefly to help a friend restructure and integrate what were separate flat file databases imported in Excel. Basically, the tables were related through common data fields using primary & foreign keys. I found that particular book helpful. The publisher is Apress, but I'm sure there are others.

http://www.apress.com/book/search?searchterm=excelas+yourdatabase&act=search&submit.x=18&submit.y=17

I got one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-Your-Database-Paul-Cornell/dp/1590597516/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229613518&sr=8-1

Hope that's useful for you.

MartyP

Dec 18, 2008 9:28 AM in response to WWJD

I used FileMaker Pro 3 and then 6, but last year when I wanted to upgrade to FileMaker 9 they refused (anything from FM 8 and below didn't get upgrade pricing). I don't make money using FileMaker so it didn't pay for me to upgrade at full price. I'll go with OpenOffice and find a way to get the FileMaker data into tables in Calc and Base or just use Excel's DB which is enough for what I need to do.

The AppleWorks data is older stuff and can be exported into anything - I'll just redo what won't export - the forms, templates, whatever I still need.

Thanks,

MartyP

Dec 18, 2008 10:31 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Hi Yvan,

You're correct that Numbers doesn't support a DB as Excel does. And forms within the AW DB can't be exported with the data. I'll just "move on."

The problem with quitting is not in the DB files, or any other AppleWorks file - they are fine when run on my old dual G4 1.25 GHz PowerMac in a Tiger (10.4.11) partition. Even better in Classic or OS 9.1 which the old dual G4 can still run. Then I can use all the Macros I built in which weren't supported in the OS X versions.

AW just doesn't run reliably, without glitches or sudden quits, in Leopard on Rosetta in Intel. I don't have the time to check all the fixes found in all the forums. It's a dead app without hardware and software support.

It's a shame that Apple didn't support and update a program around since my Apple II days. It went downhill (lost many features) when it went from OS 9 to OS X. iWork always seemed a step backwards (more glitz, less function). But that's ancient history. Couldn't even reinstall AppleWorks from the original CD (without a OS 9 volume) to try and update to 6.2.9 (if I lost the copies I have on HD or CD).

But many thanks for the input,

MartyP

Dec 18, 2008 11:32 AM in response to MartyP

MartyP wrote:
Then I can use all the Macros I built in which weren't supported in the OS X versions.

I always dislike the macros so their dropping never hurt me.

AW just doesn't run reliably, without glitches or sudden quits, in Leopard on Rosetta in Intel. I don't have the time to check all the fixes found in all the forums. It's a dead app without hardware and software support.

I never had a single crash with AppleWorks on the iMac Intel inside which sits on the left side of my desk.

It's a shame that Apple didn't support and update a program around since my Apple II days.

There is absolutely nothing common in the AppleWorks used on Apple //s, the one used on Apple //gs and the one used on MacIntosh.
The tree products where developed by fully different staffs.

It went downhill (lost many features) when it went from OS 9 to OS X. iWork always seemed a step backwards (more glitz, less function).

In fact, iWork offer a lot of features which aren't available in AppleWorks and dropped some features available in my old friend.
So, I am unable to be so affirmative than you are.

But that's ancient history. Couldn't even reinstall AppleWorks from the original CD (without a OS 9 volume) to try and update to 6.2.9 (if I lost the copies I have on HD or CD).

You may loose the install CD too.
So, burn a CD with one or several copies of AppleWorks 6 (I have one with disk image of version 6.2.4 and a disk image of version 6.2.9) and duplicate it. Then you will be able to reinstall easily. And, if you loose one, duplicate the other copy.

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE jeudi 18 décembre 2008 20:32:51)

Does Numbers have a Database built in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.