Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you download new cursor/pointer?

Is there a website that I can get cursors from? I have tried Googling and am not having any success. A lot of them point to cursormania, and they don't work with Mac. The pointer is so small I have difficulty even finding it. Thanks in advance.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iPod Nano 3rd Gen 8G

Posted on Dec 16, 2008 7:44 AM

20 replies

Dec 16, 2008 8:00 AM in response to Ian Bickerstaffe

ahh...I found out how to make it bigger, but I sure would love some fun ones like I saw...a Candy Cane would be cool...but...it seems that cursors can't be downloaded to OS X...without this software? This is the 1st link I found in my googling with OS X. Good idea to do that, thank you...

http://elegantcode.com/2007/10/28/os-x-mouse-pointers-as-a-metaphor/

Dec 16, 2008 10:20 AM in response to newbiemacuser2006

Hello again,

In my experience - and only in my experience - Haxies have been known to create terrible problems with some systems. Other people may have no issue with them what so ever. I was merely erring on the side of caution.

Windows allows all sorts of things and there are close to 200,000 viruses for that platform. OS X has, I think, 2 - yep Two! recorded viruses.

Regards.

Ian.

Dec 16, 2008 12:08 PM in response to newbiemacuser2006

Apple supplied you with the option to increase your cursor size in the System Preferences/Universal Access/Mouse & Trackpad pref pane. This is the safe way to get a bigger cursor. As has been mentioned, if you want to mess with the OS too much you might as well go back to a windoze pc and live with its 'short comings' brought about by non-careful design. 😉

Dec 16, 2008 12:58 PM in response to Gregory Mcintire

Gregory Mcintire wrote:
"I still don't understand why Apple can't provide something other than a boring black pointer."

My guess would be that they don't think enough people care about the appearance of the pointer to make it worth the trouble. It's job is to be functional like a fork or spoon, not entertaining like a slinky spring or a nurf ball.

My guess would be that they don't think enough people care about the appearance of the pointer to make it worth the trouble. It's job is to be functional like a fork or spoon, not entertaining like a slinky spring or a nurf ball.

Wow. Just because I thought it would be fun to have a Christmas cursor.

(speachless)

Feb 24, 2009 4:36 AM in response to Gregory Mcintire

"My guess would be that they don't think enough people care about the appearance of the pointer to make it worth the trouble."
==

My issue primarily is about WHERE the hot spot is on the pointer. If you leave the pointer at its default size (teeny tiny), you don't notice it as much. But if you increase the size of the pointer, not only is it an ugly pixelated sprite from 1983, but the hot spot moves that much further from the tip of the pointer too!

Here's a link to a perfect example of what I'm talking about:
youtube.com/watch?v=U6IqgZzziOQ

How do you download new cursor/pointer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.