Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import a font

Where can I find how to import a font -- from the font book, e.g. -- into Pages? Or, if you know how to do it, please inform me. Thanks.

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 17, 2008 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2008 11:51 AM

We don't import a font from FontBook into Pages.

We install fonts in one of the Fonts folders then we use FontBook to activate or desactivate one or several fonts.

Details available in the FontBook's Help.

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE mercredi 17 décembre 2008 20:51:55)
7 replies

Dec 17, 2008 2:52 PM in response to RevDrDon

As Yvan says, you don't import a font into Pages. You either activate a font using Apple's FontBook program or simply drop the font into the Fonts folder that is inside your Library folder. Having seen more than a few people struggle with this, I suspect that what's behind your question is that you downloaded a font and activated it but it isn't showing up in Pages. Oftentimes font changes aren't seen by programs that are running when the font is added or removed. Quitting and restarting the application does the trick.

Feb 16, 2009 9:47 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for the ans., Tom -- sorry to have waited so long to reply. I used to use Appleworks 6, and the "Symbol" font was Greek characters. In Pages, "Symbol" is not in Greek. I wanted to import a font which has all the Greek characters, and since AppleWorks 6 was imported into this iMac when I bo't it, I thought I could just rename it and bring it into Pages. ~~RevDrDon

Feb 16, 2009 10:20 AM in response to RevDrDon

I wanted to import a font which has all the Greek characters

OS X already has everything for Greek, no need to import a font, Lucida Grande does it. OS X/Pages, unlike Appleworks, use Unicode, which means you no longer switch fonts to switch scripts, but activate a keyboard layout or use the Character Palette (edit > special characters) instead. You can activate a Greek layout in system prefs/international/input menu.

For more on Greek:

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/TypingGreek.html

Just ask if you have any problems doing Greek input from Character Palette or the Greek keyboard.

Feb 16, 2009 10:17 AM in response to dwb

Thanks for the response -- sorry to have waited so long to reply. No I didn't download a font -- I just want to use "Symbol" for Greek characters (which I was able to do in AppleWorks 6) in Pages, but it doesn't have Greek characters when triggered in Pages. So I'm trying a couple things -- will get back to you. ~~RevDrDon
P.S. I've had three Commodores and three iMacs since 1983, but I never fiddled w/ fonts before -- I always had what I needed until Pages!

Import a font

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.