Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 8: Moving Jam Pack Instrument Library to external HD

I have Logic Studio 8 which came with all 5 Jam Packs. Using the Logic Installer, I was able to ensure the Sountrack Pro sound library and all the Apple Loop libraries (and anything else I possible could to save HD space) were installed on an external HD.

However, I was not given the ability to move the Jam Pack instrument files to an external HD. In the Installer, when you drill down into the Jam Packs, it lets you specify another location for the Loop files, but not the Instrument files.

So now I have a little over 10 GB worth of instrument data in
/Library/Application Support/Garageband/Instrument Library

that I want to move to an external HD. What is the best way to do this and to have Logic know where to find all these instrument files?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 17, 2008 11:39 AM

4 replies

Dec 17, 2008 12:12 PM in response to nigelkay

I just found this on another site and works:

1) Move the following folder to your external

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/

2) On your system drive, delete the following folder:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files/

And delete the contents of the following folder:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/

3) On the external, go inside that "Sampler" folder, and inside "Sampler Instruments". Select all the ".exs" files and Option-Command drag them all inside the now empty "Sampler Instruments" folder on your system drive. That'll make aliases out of them.

Feb 25, 2009 5:11 PM in response to nigelkay

Hello, I followed the above instructions, but when I attempted to view the new alias .exs files from inside logic (which point to the external HD) it wouldn't play the sounds. So I browsed inside Logic for the original .exs files direct off the external HD...nothing. After fiddling with it for a while and having had no luck, i changed my mind and decided it wasn't really necessary and just copied everything back to where it was on my internal drive. However, I'm still having the same problem, when I select the .exs files in logic they still produce no sounds. What did I do and how do I return it to it's original functioning state?

Logic 8: Moving Jam Pack Instrument Library to external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.