Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use ipod in two computers, at home and office?

I would like to listen and download songs using both computers, at home and office. Is it possible? How do I do it?

Posted on Aug 9, 2005 5:33 PM

5 replies

Aug 23, 2005 8:10 AM in response to btabz

I’m in a similar situation. I’m using my Ipod Mini at home with my Mac and at work I would like to be able to add songs to it on my work PC. I believe my Mini is formatted for Mac. When I plugged it into my PC at work, windows wanted to format it, but I stopped it from doing so. I followed the link listed above and it says that a Windows formatted ipods are not supported by Mac OS computer. I suspect this is more of a position than a technical limit. My question is there any limitations by formatting my Ipod for windows and using it on my Mac? Second are there any third party program that would allow me to use my ipod on windows without reformatting for windows?

Thank,

Dr.Woo

Aug 24, 2005 7:22 AM in response to Kevin Karagitz

You should format your ipod for your home computer, or whichever machine you're going to want to dump your music onto when you want a cange of pace. You can set your ipod to manual as described above, and that way you will still be able to get files off your computer at work (mac) but will not be able to update ipod software, or take files off the ipod and put them onto the mac. ipod will not "reject" being plugged into a mac once it's been formatted for windows, it just wont be compatible for updates, and if it's configured from the home computer to recieve ANY automatic updates, you may experience problems. There are a couple good third party programs out there, built mainly for recovering itunes library from ipods when a user changes computers, but I wouldnt reccomend using them to maintain identical itunes libraries at home and at the office. You can find what you are looking for by just searching for the action you want the program to perform.

Use ipod in two computers, at home and office?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.