Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup Gmail IMAP 'deleted messages' and/or 'Inbox' link in Apple mail?

I've got gmail IMAP set up so that when I 'delete' a message it doesn't actually go to Gmail's bin, but rather to Apple mail's trash. If I want to permenantely delete something I simply drag it to Gmail's bin rather than pressing delete.

Anyhow, Gmail labels the messages I 'delete' as 'Deleted messages'. I would like to have those labelled messages (as they are called by gmail) to be shown as a folder in Apple Mail. However I cannot seem to get it to do this. I can go into Gmail and create a new label and instantly it appears in Apple mail, but the already existent 'deleted messages' label will not show in Apple mail even though it appears to be present in my Apple mail personal settings folder +(see image below)+.

*So how can I get Apple mail to show me that label/folder?* Also is there a way to get Apple mail to show me Gmail's 'Inbox'? From the image below it too seems to be in my Apple mail settings folder, but it's simply not showing.

Alternatively how could I set it so that messages labelled as 'deleted messages' by Gmail are also labelled something else automatically. My thinking here is they'd show up in the secondary label as a folder in Apple mail as I'm wanting.

Note: Contracts 2009 and 2010 do not show up in Apple mail on purpose as I've used Gmail's advanced IMAP settings to hide them in IMAP. *Again, I'd most like to see 'Deleted Messages' in Apple Mail, and possibly Inbox.*

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: Nick A

 MacBook Black, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.16GHz, 4GB, 200GB @ 7200, iPhone

Posted on Dec 18, 2008 6:10 AM

6 replies

Dec 18, 2008 11:50 PM in response to Nick A

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but rather a question: Where is Gmail's advaned IMAP setting? I don't see it anywhere? Thanks.
Nick A wrote:
Note: Contracts 2009 and 2010 do not show up in Apple mail on purpose as I've used Gmail's advanced IMAP settings to hide them in IMAP. *Again, I'd most like to see 'Deleted Messages' in Apple Mail, and possibly Inbox.*

Dec 20, 2008 10:38 AM in response to Nick A

Thanks, very interesting, I have been looking for something like this for a long time. I don't want to download spam or All Mail (since it's already in the inbox). I wish I had had this from the beginning. Now, if I suddenly remove all mail from IMAP, what will happen in Apple Mail? Will the mailbox be deleted? I don't want to screw up the mail system, I have had a lot of stability issues with gmail and Apple Mail.

Dec 20, 2008 5:27 PM in response to Nick A

With IMAP accounts you typically will see all IMAP folders under the account's name in the left-hand pane of Mail, with the possible exception of 4 types of folders: Inbox, Sent, Trash, and Junk.

Often times, IMAP folders will get "mapped" to one of these 4 and their corresponding messages will appear at the top of the list in the left-hand pane under the MAILBOXES heading (expand triangles to reveal each account's mailbox).

A user can map an IMAP folder to one of these 4 special mailboxes by selecting the IMAP folder and choosing Mailbox->Use This Mailbox For from the menu.

A user can un-map an IMAP folder by visiting Mail->Preferences->Accounts->Mailbox Behaviors and unchecking the existing mapping.

I was confused by some parts of your message but I hope this helps in some way.

Setup Gmail IMAP 'deleted messages' and/or 'Inbox' link in Apple mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.