Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5.6 update - How to make a Backup copy

hi guys - new to Mac's so be patient -

I've updated my system from 10.5.5 to the latest 10.5.6 - no problems yet -

how do I make a copy, on disc - that I can use in future, to restore the "new" system, if need be - as I would, using the 10.5.5 system disc that originally came with my laptop -

without this, I assume I would have to use the original 10.5.5 disc, then download the 10.5.6 update again - seems a long way around

I don't want to insert the original 10.5.5 disc and start messing around incase I do any damage to it - I would rather have some info first

thanks for your help

p.s. a great bit of kit - won't be going back over to the other side

Late 2008 Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Dec 18, 2008 9:26 AM

12 replies

Dec 18, 2008 9:32 AM in response to Dacpro

if I understand you correctly you want to make an install DVD that installs 10.5.6 instead of 10.5.5 as your original install DVD does? that's not possible (at least nobody figured out how to do this yet). It's also quite unnecessary. you can download 10.5.6 combo update from the apple website and save it on an external drive. if you ever need to reinstall you can use that update without redownloading it.

Dec 18, 2008 9:59 AM in response to Dacpro

As V.K. suggested, it is not possible to easily make your own install disk, but if in the future you needed to restore your system, you could do an Archive & Install from the 10.5.5 install disk that came with your computer. It would be difficult, if not impossible to mess up your computer by using that method.

Then to apply the 10.5.6 update, you could then download the Combo install from Apple’s Download site and update the 10.5.5. If you want to keep a copy of the update on an external disk, you can copy the .dmg file to the external disk by holding down the option/alt key and dragging it from your computer to the external disk (if you don’t hold down the option/alt key it will only copy an alias, which will not be able to install the update).

You may have a copy of the 10.5.6 update on your computer if you manually downloaded the update from the Apple Download site. Look in your Users/yourusername/Downloads/Application folder for a file named MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.6.dmg.

Option-drag that to an external disk to make a copy so you won’t need to download it again if you need to restore.

Also, as brody recommended, you should always have a bootable backup.

Dec 18, 2008 11:18 AM in response to Dacpro

Hi guys - Thanks for the info - think I know what to do now

i.e. 1) use the original 10.5.5
2) keep a copy of the update 10.5.6
( Hold down the "alt" key when making the copy,
so its not an Alias - assume that's the case when
copying files in general - good to know)
3) use the copy of 10.5.6 to complete the process

Learning every day - and enjoying it !

Dec 18, 2008 12:07 PM in response to Dacpro

Thanks for the info - think I know what to do now

Methinks you're not there yet. Since you've installed 10.5.6 and it works well, you're best bet to *make a copy, on disc - that I can use in future, to restore the "new" system, if need be* is to get a bootable, external HD (preferably FireWire, since it's faster than USB and designed for data transfer), and make a bootable backup/clone before updating/upgrading and ensure that it's bootable and works like the original. That allows you to revert to the previous good state without having to reinstall anything. In addition to a brody's backup link, see these for more details:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106941
http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/installswupdates.html
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/backuprecovery.html

Once you get that figured out and develop a backup/update/upgrade strategy, see these:

Switching from Windows to Mac OS X,
Basic Tutorials on using a Mac,
MacFixIt Tutorials,
MacTips, and
Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition.

Additionally, *Texas Mac Man* recommends:

Quick Assist.
Welcome to the Switch To A Mac Guides,
Take Control E-books, and
A guide for switching to a Mac.

Dec 18, 2008 12:15 PM in response to V.K.

"i don't think it can make a 10.5.6 install DVD out of a 10.5.5 one"

It probably won't do that, but can make yourself a sweet little repair disk, a mini clone of
your OS. Using Carbon Copy Cloner you can restore your main System and Library files and
many times get your OS back up and running. 🙂

Of course it doesn't hurt to slap a few of your favorite disk utilities on there too.

Kj

Dec 18, 2008 12:25 PM in response to Dacpro

Dacpro - Yes, those three steps should do it for you, succinctly put.

The option/alt key when copying files is mostly just for copying to ejectable media like CD’s or DVD’s. Copying from the internal drive to an external drive should make a full copy just by dragging it. You can tell if a file is an alias because it will have a small arrow in the lower left corner of its icon.

Option-drag also works if you want to copy a file from one folder on your disk to another folder. If you simply drag the file it will move it, not copy it. If you want to keep it in the original folder, but make a copy of it in another folder, the option/alt-drag will do that.

But there are rare cases when one would want to have two full copies of a file on the same drive. If you wanted to access an original file from another place on the computer, it is better to make an alias of the original and move it where you want, to be able to get access to it perhaps more conveniently, like to the desktop.

10.5.6 update - How to make a Backup copy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.