Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin account v user account

Hi chaps

Is it normal to create a "User account" as opposed to an "Admin account" (which is what you create when you first get you MAC - in my case anyway) and use that for normal day to day operations

I'm using what I assume is the admin account with the "vault" activated - hoping everything will be OK - virus wise etc -

hard for us ex PC guys to get used to not looking over our shoulder all the time -

I was going to buy an Apple II years ago - but couldn't afford it - years of misery

thanks for the advise - great community - have been scanning the forums, seems like a LOT of PC users are coming over - looks like the genie is out of the BOX

Late 2008 Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 18, 2008 3:28 PM

6 replies

Dec 18, 2008 3:35 PM in response to Dacpro

You'll get varying opinions on whether or not to use an admin or standard account. I do the former even though Apple in its security documents recommends using standard accounts on multiuser machines, which mine isn't. Search these forums for *admin account*, *standard account*, and *nonadmin account* to see what others have posted.

Since you're new to the Mac world, see these:

Switching from Windows to Mac OS X,
Basic Tutorials on using a Mac,
MacFixIt Tutorials,
MacTips, and
Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition.

Additionally, *Texas Mac Man* recommends:

Quick Assist.
Welcome to the Switch To A Mac Guides,
Take Control E-books, and
A guide for switching to a Mac.

Dec 18, 2008 3:48 PM in response to Dacpro

Hi

For me a secure Admin account is all I need. Normal is what you want it to be and what your needs are.

My main focus is with server controlled environments (Apple's Open Directory) in educational institutions. In those environments a secure local admin account is essential. Students have access thereafter with networked controlled accounts. If you've ever worked with Active Directory then you will know what I mean.

On a different note: now that you've taken the plunge and decided to use a mac you will now know what it's like to get to your desktop and begin working within a minute of switching on your computer. I've not seen a PC manage this yet.

Ironically not unless it's installed on a Intel Mac.

Tony

Admin account v user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.