Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling - Error Writing to File

I'm trying to reinstall iTunes, but it stops at 'status: copying new files' and says: "error writing to file: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\fr.lproj\MusicStoreBar.nib\classes.nib. Verify that you have access to that directory." with 'retry' or 'cancel'.
Not really sure what to do. Does anyone have a solution?
Thankyou!

Windows XP

Posted on Dec 19, 2008 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2008 6:48 AM

that means that you didnt uninstall itunes or did not do a full install, so what you wanan do is open up my computer, click on your hard drive go to program files then find itunes and delete it then it should install correctly
10 replies

Dec 21, 2008 7:57 AM in response to katherine.r

The disk check should fix the problem.
Youc an do it by right clicking on your c:drive in my computer the Properties>>Tools>>Error checking
Tick all the boxes then the check runs when you next reboot. It can take a while.

Anther possibility if the disk check doesn't work is to try renaming the folder containing the bad file to something esle. It doesn't fix the problem but may allow you to get iTunes installed.

Dec 21, 2008 8:11 AM in response to polydorus

I ran the disk check, but not a lot happened. I didn't get time to write it down because it wasn't up for very long, but it said something about the volume being clean (I think) and the check was only four lines long. It didn't mention anything about repairing or corrupt files.
I still get the "error writing to file: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\fr.lproj\MusicStoreBar.nib\classes.nib. Verify that you have access to that directory." message when I try to install iTunes.

Shall I try renaming the iTunes.Resources folder?

Dec 21, 2008 8:22 AM in response to katherine.r

Why not try something simple like putting an x in from to the name of that folder. Hopefully the installer will ignore it as it will not recognise the name. This is assuming windows allows you to rename the folder. You might be able to rename the actual file, which is probably better but you may not be allowed to do it if the file has been corrupted. Try it though.

Then try installing iTunes.
If you haven't already, download and save the iTunessetup file on your PC and run it from there.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Reinstalling - Error Writing to File

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.