Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAID Disk reporting an error 0x40, 0x51

On one of our Xserve RAIDs, we are getting an error:

Disk 9 Reported An Error. ERROR:0x40 STATUS:0x51 LBA:0xAA010300000000

It has repeated this error a few times over the last few weeks. What does this code mean? What action (if any) should I take?

Posted on Sep 15, 2005 4:17 PM

4 replies

Sep 26, 2005 1:23 PM in response to Camelot

Is there a list of these error messages somewhere? Unfortunately it is not in the XServe RAID manual, where I think it would belong.

I have also seen ERROR: 0x10
which means what?

Also, when replacing drives: are these standard off the shelf drives that could be placed into the Apple modules, or do the drives have some custom firmware?
AFAIK, our unit is still under warranty, but once that expires, I would assume it to be cheaper to buy off-the-shelf drives, and put them into the Apple carriers.... Right?

Ronald

Nov 10, 2005 10:18 PM in response to mboszko

I had this same error, on two different drives on the same controller today. I called Apple Enterprise Support and they said that it's unlikely that this indicates a bad drive. They suggested that I do a hard reset on the controller, and see if the problem continues. Even if it does, it could be the controller as well as a drive.

Before I called support, I had pulled the first drive that reported the problem and replaced it with a spare. I ran tests on the original drive that had reported the problem, formatted it with zeros and with 7-pass, and it seems fine. This lends credence to the controller being the problem, since it's not an obviously bad drive.

I have to wait until the spare finishes rebuilding to reset the controller, but I'll try it and report the results.

Enterprise Support also said that these errors are probably more likely starting with firmware v1.5, as the tolerances have been tightened somewhat.

Firmware v1.5 also has a new feature called Background Array Conditioning that can be run if desired. This feature can remap any bad blocks, along with correcting "off track writes". I'll be running that after the controller reset to see if anything is reported on the drives involved in these errors.

RAID Disk reporting an error 0x40, 0x51

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.