Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

How can I merge cells in an AppleWorks spreadsheet?

6262 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2010 8:20 AM by Peter WP RSS
Peter WP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 17, 2010 8:19 AM
I'm running Appleworks 6.2.9.

I have spreadsheet in which I'd like to merge some cells to enter a string of text. The Help menu shows the following:

After selecting the cells, choose Merge Cells from the Table menu.

I DON'T see a Table menu.

I figure if it's in the Help menu, it MUST be in the program SOMEWHERE. I just don't see it.

Any suggestions?
iMac 2.6GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • Peggy Level 8 Level 8 (38,085 points)
    Jan 12, 2011 6:59 AM (in response to Peter WP)
    AppleWorks does not merge cells in spreadsheets. You can, though, get the same effect in a couple of ways.

1. Text in a cell will overflow into empty cells the right if left aligned, to the left if right aligned & to both sides if center aligned.

2. Create a floating text box to hold the text.

24" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo iMac; 15" MacBook Pro 2.5GHz; G5 2.3GHz; iPhone; TV, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2GB iPod nano, 30GB 5G iPod, G3/600 iBook, G4/700 iMac, PB 1400, Apple IIgs
  • Barry Level 7 Level 7 (29,095 points)
    Dec 17, 2010 8:19 AM (in response to Peter WP)
    The Help article refers to cell in a Table in a word processing document. As Peggy notes, AppleWorks does not support merging cells in spreadsheets.

Regards,
    Barry

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.