Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to 10.5.6 has broken DDC/CI monitor communications

Hi,
this is my first posting.
I have several systems running 10.5.5 and in conjunction with ddc/ci compliant monitors from Lacie, NEC and Samsung. All with their respective monitor calibration software.
Ive updated all machines to 10.5.6. Intel and PPC boxes. All the PPC boxes no longer communicate with their respective calibration software applcations once this update has been installed. The ddc/ci handshake is no failing to initialize in all these packages.
It looks like apple has broken something in the video driver communication at a low level.
This is a rather large problem to those of us relying on color management.
any comment on an update?

thanks.

PPC boxes, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Dec 22, 2008 4:29 PM

21 replies

Mar 16, 2009 4:38 AM in response to derrickb

Either wait for 10.5.7 and see if it gets fixed, or roll back to 10.5.5 or even 10.5.4.

Spent a few hours with NEC on Friday going through the problem, and they've confirmed that it's an issue and are working with Apple to resolve it. Whether it gets fixed in 10.5.7 remains to be seeing.

What graphics card are you using? We're running Nvidia and are contemplating an ATI card to see if that fixes the problem. Not being able to calibrate the monitor is a big problem here.

Derek Cooper Photography
www.derekcooper.com
www.reproducingart.com
V 1-888-767-9106

Mar 16, 2009 8:01 AM in response to Derek Cooper2

Hi,

I hope 10.5.7 will fix the DDC/CI communication. I am using a NEC 2690WUXi and a MacBook (alu unibody) with a DisplayPort-to-dvi-adapter. I hope 10.5.7 will bring new Nvidia drivers supporting the communication link (I heard DDC/CI works with Windows XP or Vista with the integrated nvida-chip)...

Hello Apple, only because you do not support VESA specifications for your own displays, it does not mean nobody does... and besides, if you look at the displayport homepage (www.displayport.org/) and all the Apple MacBook's with Mini-diplayPort-adapter pictures, it would be even nicer to support industrial standards, because the photos are - kind of - suggesting this...

Thank you.

Message was edited by: Christian Burkert

Mar 19, 2009 5:31 AM in response to Christian Burkert

Hey Christian,

Turns out that 10.5.5 also breaks the DDC communication between my Nvidia card and the NEC 2690. I wiped one system clean and re-installed the OS starting at 10.5, then upgraded to 10.5.5 and found DDC still to be broken. Wiped again, and upgraded to 10.5.4 and was back in business.

So thinking that 10.5.7 will fix the problem may not be wise - if you have the option to roll back to 10.5.4, you might want to consider doing that. We've ordered an ATI card so we can swap out the Nvidia card so we don't find ourselves stuck at 10.5.4 for who knows how long.

Of course, that option doesn't exist in the MacBook. Just a thought.

Derek

Apr 7, 2009 1:10 AM in response to Derek Cooper2

Hi Derek,

thanks for your answer! Rolling back would be an option, but with 10.5.7 only days and weeks away, I think I will wait. Hopefully Apple will fix it... I would love to buy a Mac Pro to have options switching graphic cards, hdd and memory and so on, but my budget for this year is limited.

I hope 10.5.7 fixes the bug and Apple takes care that Snow Leopard won't break it again...

😉

Regarding the whole issue, I can't stand the marketing "blabla" like:
"New design. New features. New technologies. All engineered to standards that don’t even exist yet."

it just makes me sad...

Head up,

chris

Apr 25, 2009 6:18 AM in response to Christian Burkert

Same DDC problem between my Mac and Lacie 720 Display. Problem still exists between my monitor and Win XP Pro mounted with bootcamp 2.1. No comunication. If the problem is a 10.5.6 issue, why changing video card? Is it possible that Apple can't fix this problem? Mac is the stand alone system for photographers...but now? Without the possibility to work on a calibrated display? I can't go back to previous version of Leopard because my Install CD is already version 10.5.6!!

May 14, 2009 8:21 AM in response to Max_Ram

Yes. I pulled out my old Powerbook G4 and connected the DIV-to-DVI cable that shipped with my Display (NEC MultiSync LCD 2690WUXi2). Still no communication between devices. Neither SpectraView or ColorEyesDisplay PRO recognize a digital connection. Support team at Integrated-Color.com told me that there are still underlying issues with the DDC debacle.

May 17, 2009 7:52 AM in response to derrickb

New Quad 2.93 and ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card upgrade.

MDSVSENSOR and SpectraVeiw II Version 1.1.00 (Build 090114) all worked beautifully on both 10.5.6 and 10.5.7.

But only on the Native DVI-I Dual Link Connection.
I was only able to perform what I assume to be a software calibration via the mini displayport to DVI-D Single Link Connection.

From what I can tell Apple has yet to implement audio or the secondary data channel supposedly allowed for under displayport.

Anybody tried the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVi Dual Adapter?
Does it do DDC/CI?

Updating to 10.5.6 has broken DDC/CI monitor communications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.