Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Using iPhoto together with Adobe Lightroom

3181 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2009 12:17 PM by Ayabara RSS
Ayabara Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 23, 2008 3:47 AM
I use Adobe Lightroom for my image organizing/tagging needs, since it's way more powerful than iPhoto in this area. I would however like to use iPhoto for my daily image browsing, syncing with my iPhone and for ordering prints/books ++. The way I do this now, is I let iPhoto scan the folder where I have my images. After a while when it gets outdated, I delete the database and rescan in iPhoto. Kinda cumbersome...

So:
1. Is there a way I can make iPhoto rescan my image folder? Maybe some script or something that can do it for me?
2. When I rate images in LR, the ratings are stored in the IPTC Urgency field. When I import to iPhoto it doesn't import this as rating. Any way I can convert IPTC Urgency to iPhoto rating?
3. Would Aperture be a better choice for working together with iPhoto, or would it be just as cumbersome?
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,655 points)
    Dec 23, 2008 4:03 AM (in response to Ayabara)
    In reverse order:

3. Would Aperture be a better choice for working together with iPhoto, or would it be just as cumbersome?

It’s a lot better. You can grab your previews from Aperture right into iPhoto using a Media Browser, but given that Aperture will do all those things - books, syncing with iPhone etc - you’ll probably need to do it less. Like iPhoto, Aperture is integrated throughout the OS, in every Open... Dialogue, through Media Browsers to integrate with other apps and so on. The primary advantage of using Aperture is that +at least the two apps know each other exist+.

2. When I rate images in LR, the ratings are stored in the IPTC Urgency field. When I import to iPhoto it doesn't import this as rating. Any way I can convert IPTC Urgency to iPhoto rating

I don’t think so. There is no real way to move ratings between any apps that I know of. This area of metadata is still in its infancy.

1. Is there a way I can make iPhoto rescan my image folder? Maybe some script or something that can do it for me?

No. However there are apps out there that can watch that folder for you and execute specific actions on events occurring. You may be able to cook up an Automator action or Folder Action script that will import to iPhoto when a file is added to the Folder. Or use an app like Hazel to do it for you.

Update: I’m not sure what this Lightroom plug-in brings to the party, but it may help.

Regards

TD

Message was edited by: Terence Devlin
    MacBook Pro 15 2.4 C2D / iMac 20" 2.16 C2D, Mac OS X (10.5), 4 gig RAM/ 2 gig RAM
  • bilbo_baggins Level 4 Level 4 (2,230 points)
    Jan 11, 2009 12:59 PM (in response to Ayabara)
    Just interested to know how you got on. I gladly moved from iPhoto to Lightroom during the beta (before Apple dramatically dropped the price of Aperture), and my only regret is the lack of compatibility with the Apple TV and iPhone. Faces has got me interested in iPhoto again (not sure if this is a feature of Aperture too?). I'd like to have my photos in both applications, but clearly there doesn't seem to be an easy way of managing them in both applications simultaneously.

I didn't know there was a trial version of Aperture - I'll see if I can find it.
    Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-core / MBP Unibody 2.4Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 8GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT / 2GB RAM
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (121,655 points)
    Jan 11, 2009 1:18 PM (in response to bilbo_baggins)
    but clearly there doesn't seem to be an easy way of managing them in both applications simultaneously.

There isn’t. They are both Digital Asset Management apps, and they work in very different ways. Even if they both point to the same set of files changes made in LR will not be available in iPhoto, changes made in iPhoto will not be available in LR and - much worse, changes made by either app risk corrupting the other’s Library.

No, Aperture does not have this feature (yet...)

Regards

TD
    MacBook Pro 15 2.4 C2D / iMac 20" 2.16 C2D, Mac OS X (10.5), 4 gig RAM/ 2 gig RAM
  • bilbo_baggins Level 4 Level 4 (2,230 points)
    Jan 11, 2009 3:06 PM (in response to Terence Devlin)
    It's the fear of corrupting the library that I would worry about most. It wouldn't bother me too much that the 2 libraries wouldn't share any changes (I'd be more worried if they did!).

Maybe Lightroom or Aperture will get this function in future - although being aimed at photographers rather than general consumes maybe they don't think it's necessary.
    Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-core / MBP Unibody 2.4Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 8GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT / 2GB RAM

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.