Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email frozen sending a large email

hello.. my mail is frozen and i cant receive or send emails because a very large email I had as a draft and tried to delete is still stuck sending... every time I try and log out of mail and back into mail, it is still stuck sending.. but it doesn't appear in my outbox or in the sending folder, so i can't move or delete it... HELP!

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 23, 2008 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2008 1:47 PM

You should quit Mail if it's running and open ~/Library/Mail/<account name>/Drafts.mbox (and/or INBOX.mbox) and look for that email you tried to send, then delete it; or if Delete doesn't work, Cut it (Command-X). Then restart Mail and see if things are back to normal.

Mulder
17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2008 1:47 PM in response to rmkay

You should quit Mail if it's running and open ~/Library/Mail/<account name>/Drafts.mbox (and/or INBOX.mbox) and look for that email you tried to send, then delete it; or if Delete doesn't work, Cut it (Command-X). Then restart Mail and see if things are back to normal.

Mulder

Dec 23, 2008 2:05 PM in response to Mulder

Thank you for the suggestions. I have done that, but Mail is still not sending or receiving and continues to be locked. Although the "gear" is no longer spinning.

When I shut Mail down I get this warning:

Some actions taken while the account ".Mac" was offline could not be completed online.

Mail has undone actions on some messages so that you can redo the actions while online.

message error domain error 1028

Any suggestions from here?? thank you

Dec 23, 2008 2:10 PM in response to rmkay

Hmmm…try this then:

1. Quit Mail if it's running.
2. Go to ~/Library/Mail and delete the Envelope Index file(s).
3. Restart Mail and wait for it to import your existing messages; with any luck the problem should go away.

If it doesn't, then quit Mail and do this:

1. Go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the com.apple.mail.plist file.
2. Restart Mail and setup your account(s) again; Mail will automatically find your existing mailboxes and this should resolve the problem, assuming that your Mail preferences are corrupt.

Mulder

Dec 23, 2008 3:10 PM in response to rmkay

Okay, then let's try something a bit more drastic:

2. Launch Terminal and enter this at the prompt:

cd ~/Library/Mail/<IMAPemailaddress@domain.com>/.OfflineCache
(replacing <IMAPemailaddress@domain.com> with your MobileMe email address and domain) and press Enter or Return.

type rm-r* and press Enter or Return.

Then restart Mail and try again. Post back with results.

Mulder

Dec 23, 2008 3:40 PM in response to rmkay

Do you have your MobileMe account setup as POP, or IMAP? If it's IMAP (the default), then it should work. What version of OS X are you running, and at what point do you get the error?

You could also try doing this manually like this:

2. Launch Terminal and paste:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

into the window and press Enter or Return. Then type "killall Finder" and press Enter or Return.

3. Go to ~/Library/Mail/<IMAP_emailaddress@domain.com>, look for the file named ".OfflineCache" and delete it (you may need to give Admin authorization for this).
4. Restart Mail and test again.
5. If it works, then paste:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false

into Terminal; press Enter or Return. Then type "killall Finder" and press Enter or Return again, then quit Terminal.

Mulder

Mar 10, 2009 5:08 AM in response to Mulder

Mulder, if you are out there I have the same issue. but I can't find the draft mail. I tried quitting Mail after I saw the size of the photo attachment. it was 54MB! Mail has been sending this email ever since.
the blue progress gets about half way then stalls. there is also a circular icon next to the trash. the icon is dimmed and there is a thin slice left to complete.
now several hours later the progress bar no longer appears but the circular icon is still there.
Can I just trash Mail and then use Pacifist to reinstall Mail? I am not too comfortable with terminal. I don't want create a bigger headache.

Message was edited by: BigWaveDave

Message was edited by: BigWaveDave

Mar 10, 2009 5:44 AM in response to BigWaveDave

Dave,

Mulder is not available lately.

Trashing the app would be fruitless -- the message is not in the app, but in your own Home directory folders.

Quit Mail, and in the Finder open Home/Library/Mail/Mailboxes and locate the folder named Outbox.mbox -- drag it to the Desktop or delete it. Relaunch Mail, and then test sending a simple message. Mail will create a new Outbox.mbox at that time, without the huge message.

The Home folder is what results with you click on the Icon of a House in any Finder window, btw.

Ernie

Email frozen sending a large email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.