Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Analog Audio works but Digital (optical) does not

I recently purchased an Airport Express and the Monster cable kit in order to connect my living room stereo system to my iTunes library in the den. So my Linksys WRT54G in the den talks to the Express in the living room and with analog, works grand.

I have the set-up working with the analog Monster cable to my Sony receiver just fine, but when I try and use the other cable, the digital (optical) cable, no sound. The receiver displays "Unlock", but there is no sound. I see the laser light emanating from the end of the cable, I can plug other devices like my DVD player into the same port on the receiver and get sound, but for some reason this isn't working.

Am I missing a setting somewhere to tell the Express to put out optical instead of analog? I figured it was automatic, but am really confounded. Any help much appreciated and happy holidays!

Powermac G4 Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 3.5 Tb harddrive space, 1.25G RAM.

Posted on Dec 24, 2008 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2008 5:49 PM

Am I missing a setting somewhere to tell the Express to put out optical instead of analog? I figured it was automatic, but am really confounded.

You're right it is "automatic" in a sense and it really depends on the type of cable connected to the AX's audio port. I suggest that you try (if handy) both another minijack-to-TOSlink adapter and another TOSlink cable. I've had situations that had me perplexed until changing either of these fixed it. It's important to note that any degradation of optical signal could prevent the digital audio receiver from "seeing" the signal and possibly why you are not getting sound.

Of course, anything is possible, and it also could be that the digital part of the AX's circuitry has failed ... but that's not as likely.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2008 5:49 PM in response to Cobber 99

Am I missing a setting somewhere to tell the Express to put out optical instead of analog? I figured it was automatic, but am really confounded.

You're right it is "automatic" in a sense and it really depends on the type of cable connected to the AX's audio port. I suggest that you try (if handy) both another minijack-to-TOSlink adapter and another TOSlink cable. I've had situations that had me perplexed until changing either of these fixed it. It's important to note that any degradation of optical signal could prevent the digital audio receiver from "seeing" the signal and possibly why you are not getting sound.

Of course, anything is possible, and it also could be that the digital part of the AX's circuitry has failed ... but that's not as likely.

Dec 24, 2008 8:15 PM in response to Tesserax

I have other sources like my DVD player which have the standard optical connection, but no other sources with the minijack that the Monster cable provides for interface with the Express. Otherwise I surely would test that.

I can only confirm that the optical port on my receiver works as I have tried the DVD player in it with success so I am down to having eliminated the receiver as the problem and now wondering if it's either 1. the Express, or 2. the cable (new Monster from Apple arrived a week ago).

Hopefully I can find a replacement cable locally, then, return it if it too does not work.

Dec 26, 2008 4:06 PM in response to Cobber 99

My Sony Receiver (STR-DE898) is about 5 years old and while I know it expects and can handle PCM audio streams, I wonder if the Extreme uses the newer S/PDIF stream format. I can't read anywhere if my receiver supports that format. When I connect the Monster cable, the receiver says "UNLOCK". I can see the dim red light at the end of the cable, but alas, no sound (analog still works).

I have ordered a few cables from monoprice (wow - cheap - wow). The saga continues.

Mar 18, 2009 11:05 AM in response to Cobber 99

I have the same problem : my airport express (802.11n) that I've purchased one month ago streams music perfectly to my AV receiver by analog output but became unable to stream by digital output (it only worked for a few hours of listening)

My optical cable is not the Monster of the Apple kit, it's a Philips cable with jack adaptors. It works good when plugged into the MacBook optical output.

Any idea ?

Jun 15, 2009 1:42 PM in response to McSano

This continues to be an issue for me. The the weeks since my post, I have:

1. Replaced the Express = same issue
2. Tried a couple different types of optical connectors = same issue
3. Tried variations of ports on the back of my receiver and can conclude that all optical in's work with all my other optical devices and it is the airport only that has this issue.

Unfortunately I do not have the cash to try a new receiver, else that would be my next diagnostic step. I am currently using Analog but dream of little 1's and 0's.

Analog Audio works but Digital (optical) does not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.