Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appe TV synching, but not streaming

I just got my Apple TV. It detects my network and the Apple TV icon appears on my devices in I-tunes. It synchs fine, but now the hard drive on the Apple TV is full and I hardly have any of my music on it. This thing is supposed to stream music and movies from I-Tunes on my PC to Apple TV....right? I have I-Tunes running on my PC and like I said the Apple TV icon is seen on the I-tunes screen, but on Apple TV in the my music screen only shows what has synched onto the Apple TV hard drive. What am my doing wrong?

Thanks

Apple TV, Windows XP

Posted on Dec 27, 2008 10:24 AM

6 replies

Dec 27, 2008 12:57 PM in response to galindenba

....I'd like I tunes to just stream to Apple TV.

A secondary library will stream only, to set up a secondary library you will need to unpair your primary library first (select 'settings/computers/ your library') and then select 'settings/computers/connect to shared library'

However before you do that you can stream everything but photos from a primary library and there are significant advantages to having a primary library. Your primary library will stream everything that isn't synced and you can actually tell it to sync nothing, in which case everything will be streamed.

If your tv is only showing that which you have synced then you most likely have the 'Show only synced items...' box checked under the summary tab.

(Please excuse my unsupported nomenclature)

....How do I delete stuff from the Apple TV hard drive?

Everything will be deleted if you unpair your primary library, however if you intend to keep your primary library, simply deselect the items you no longer want synced and the next time you sync they will be deleted from the tv.

Jan 1, 2009 8:05 AM in response to galindenba

Winston, you said above: "Your primary library will stream everything that isn't synced"

This is +exactly what I want,+ but I'm having a really tough time figuring out how to achieve this.

I have a ton of music and movies- way to much to fit on the hard drive inside the Apple TV.

I would like to choose specific items to sync, and I'd like *all media that is not synced to be available via streaming.* From what I've read on these boards this is possible, but I can't seem to get it to work on my Apple TV.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer! Thanks in advance.

-Ben

Appe TV synching, but not streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.