Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking user account with another user's login credentials

My daughter recently discovered something on our iBook that I wasn't aware of and it's something that troubles me.

I had my user account logged in but locked out. She opened up the iBook and was presented with the dialog to unlock my account or switch users. Instead of switching users, she entered her user name and her password instead of mine and the computer unlocked my user account for her.

I was unaware that one user could unlock another user's account like that and it was a shock to watch it happen. She told me she could do it and I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. Is this intentional or do I have a bad install of OS X?

Message was edited by: Rick Anderson

iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 27, 2008 5:55 PM

6 replies

Dec 27, 2008 6:02 PM in response to Niel

Thanks for the quick response!

Sort of bummer though. The iBook has real trouble staying connected consistently to the wireless network and you can't reconnect without being an admin so I have a bit of a dilemma here. I'm going to research it a little and see if there's a way to disable that ability to unlock accounts for specific users. I'd rather my kids not be able to do it.

Jan 4, 2009 8:55 PM in response to Rick Anderson

An administrator is allowed to define new users. One of the users is root who can look at any file on the system. Any administrator from the terminal can access any file. With the access to the machine, any user can boot a system's CD and change passwords on userids for instance.

Your best protection is to use filevault.

----------------

You may want to define a new forum entry that explores why you need administrator access to get your wireless connection working.

I do not know the wireless commands, however, you can change the permissions on terminal commands so that any user can run the command. Perhaps you could figure out the terminal command for reactivating you wireless connection and change the permission to let any by use it.

Robert

Unlocking user account with another user's login credentials

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.