Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant print to samsung laser on an xp computer

I don't know if I should have posted this under networking or printers. I'll try here first.

OK whats going on is I have a Samsung 315 color laser. It works fine as a stand alone printer on my macbook pro. Also works fine on my XP computer. But When I try to print through the network I cant get the drivers to load on my macbook. Even though the drivers are already installed thought the samsung software. I have both machines on the same workgroup and printer sharing enabled on the XP computer. But when it gets to the point to load the driver the only option I can choose is "Generic Postscript Printer" If I choose other driver its not listed and if I try to choose a different location and look on the CD. I cant find any kind of driver to load. When it is setup as generic post script printer, when I tell it to print it activates the printer, warms up, blinks the toner lights in series then goes back to the regular online status. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2nd gen

Posted on Dec 28, 2008 10:56 AM

6 replies

Dec 28, 2008 11:16 AM in response to greene-r74

It's important to know - drivers on OS X aren't like on Windows. Your Samsung-provided driver was written using Carbon, so it only works for the comm types built into the driver itself. ie, it's for USB, not for network printing. The standard network printing types on OS X (exception: mac-to-mac sharing) are provided by CUPS - you need a CUPS-compliant driver (Apple calls them "modern" drivers). There's an open-source CUPS driver set available:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-CLP-315
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/macosx
(look at the foo2 xxx driver set)
(you need to install ghostscript and foomatic-rip, too.)

Dec 28, 2008 6:27 PM in response to greg sahli

Greg and greene-r74,

Greg is correct that there are Mac OS X installers for all the software. However, the foo2zjs package for Mac OS X does not have support for the Samsung 315. There are no plans to update the Mac OS X foo2zjs package. greene-r74 would have to compile the foo2zjs (foo2qpdl) drivers.

It should also be noted that the developer of the foo2qpdl driver only shows that support for the Samsung 315 is of Alpha quality.

Matt

Dec 29, 2008 8:50 AM in response to greg sahli

Thanks for all your help but the reason I bought a mac was so I wouldnt have to do stuff like that. I'm a computer tech. I fix other peoples problems, I just want my stuff to work. So on to plan B, Whenever I need to print I'm just going to go downstairs and plug the printer in to my macbook. Problem solved. Maybe someday someone smarter than me will figure out a way to include that in the OS. Thanks again, I do appreciate the info.

cant print to samsung laser on an xp computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.