Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Pinch (zoom) Gesture

I keep accidentally doing the pinch to zoom gesture while I am scrolling (two fingers) in Safari. In general the pinch to zoom gesture does not work well. I can't accurately control my zoom. I either zoom in way too much or zoom out way too much. There doesn't seem to be any way to zoom gradually.

Can I just disable this gesture while keeping other gestures enabled and keeping the zoom gesture enabled in other apps?

This is getting so annoying I am considering switching from Safari to another browser.

Macbook 2.4 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 4 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 29, 2008 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2009 11:32 AM

please apple i beg you to give us a way to disable this feature. i understand the screen zooming put keep text zooming regulated to the apple +- keys or just allow us to turn it off. as an avid track pad two finger scroller this gets activated all day long and very frustrating. For the love of god, please allow us to disable it
25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2009 11:32 AM in response to J-a-x

please apple i beg you to give us a way to disable this feature. i understand the screen zooming put keep text zooming regulated to the apple +- keys or just allow us to turn it off. as an avid track pad two finger scroller this gets activated all day long and very frustrating. For the love of god, please allow us to disable it

Jan 22, 2009 10:46 PM in response to Rob Jennings

Unfortunately, it doesn't work as "expected behavior" for me; I prefer my text to stay put. I also find that I very rarely (read: almost never) want to zoom in and out on a 15" screen (in contrast to my iPhone) because the screen is already large enough. Worst of all, this guesture is easy to trigger by accident but seems actually difficult to do on purpose, which means that setting things back to normal actually takes more effort! Ugh. I also agree with the original poster: the granularity for this guesture leaves a lot to be desired. I spend several seconds in accordion fashion trying to dial the zoom back to something near the original size. Aggravating in the extreme.

Jan 23, 2009 11:09 AM in response to Midnightbrewer

First things first, I agree that it can be too easy to activate. Perhaps the sensitivity needs to be adjusted or maybe the option of adding a modifier key would be helpful. But it you want the text to return to normal, just press the command key plus the zero key.

I understand and appreciate that it may not be to your preference, but it is conforming to standard browser behavior. The HTML or CSS code of a website specifies the text size for that specific website. Apple and all other browser developers provide you with the capability to override that specification with an increase or decrease text size function. The granularity of this function is dictated by standard HTML and CSS text sizes. Safari has included this capability since it was launched, which can be activated with the command key and the plus or minus keys. Safari, at least the desktop version, has never had a zoom function so it made sense to map the pinch gesture to increase or decrease text.

The pinch gesture is not a system-wide screen zoom gesture throughout Mac OS X. It is mapped to different commands for different applications. It is mapped to zoom when viewing graphics in an application like Preview or iPhoto because that makes sense. It is mapped to increase or decrease text size in Safari because that makes more sense in the context of a desktop browser. The browser paradigm is different than other applications and for good reasons.

If you want system-wide screen zoom, it is activated with a modifier key (control by default) and two-finger scroll, as configured in the Trackpad preferences. This has also been available via Universal Access for years, as mentioned by the other poster before me, but has now been mapped to the trackpad as well.

Disable Pinch (zoom) Gesture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.