Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

US iPhone 3G with Movistar/Spain SIM?

I purchased an iPhone 3G from a US Apple store. I am about to travel to Spain for 6 months and don't want to spend a lot of money roaming. Is it possible to remove the AT&T SIM and buy a Movistar (iPhone carrier in Spain) SIM/package. Will the US bought iPhone3G work in Spain with a Movistar SIM? I could not definitively find the answer on the Apple, AT&T or Movistar websites. Thanks.

iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Dec 29, 2008 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2008 5:08 PM

No.

U.S. iphones are carrier locked to AT&T. they cannot be activated with any other carrier.
5 replies

Dec 29, 2008 5:18 PM in response to roaminggnome

I note on this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937 (About activating iPhone 3G with a wireless carrier) that Movistar theoretically offers authorized unlocking. Assuming it would be convenient for me to purchase an iPhone in Spain and assuming I would be able to unlock the phone, when I return to the US could I purchase an AT&T plan/SIM and install it into this unlocked iPhone? Thanks again for your help.

Dec 29, 2008 5:31 PM in response to mancinrob

If the carrier that sells an iPhone in a particular country sells the iPhone as officially unlocked, you can use the iPhone with any provider's SIM card.

The downside is with a warranty claim. If a problem develops with an iPhone that is purchased in another country, an exchange under warranty must be done in the country where the iPhone was purchased only. When returning to the U.S. with an iPhone that was purchased in another country, Apple will not exchange the iPhone in the U.S. under warranty.

US iPhone 3G with Movistar/Spain SIM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.