Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

US iPhone 3G with Movistar/Spain SIM?

3172 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2008 5:31 PM by Allan Sampson RSS
mancinrob Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 29, 2008 5:07 PM
I purchased an iPhone 3G from a US Apple store. I am about to travel to Spain for 6 months and don't want to spend a lot of money roaming. Is it possible to remove the AT&T SIM and buy a Movistar (iPhone carrier in Spain) SIM/package. Will the US bought iPhone3G work in Spain with a Movistar SIM? I could not definitively find the answer on the Apple, AT&T or Movistar websites. Thanks.
iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • roaminggnome Level 10 Level 10 (89,240 points)
    Dec 29, 2008 5:08 PM (in response to mancinrob)
    No.

U.S. iphones are carrier locked to AT&T. they cannot be activated with any other carrier.
    powerbook g4, iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.5.1), airport express, iphone, ipod, ipod touch
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (122,150 points)
    Dec 29, 2008 5:09 PM (in response to mancinrob)
    Unfortunately, the answer is no.

The iPhone is sold in the U.S. as carrier locked with AT&T only, and I haven't read any reports about AT&T unlocking an iPhone for any reason.
     PowerBook G4 17-inch/1.67GHz/2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 7200rpm-100GB HD,  iPod w/Video 30GB,  iPhone 3G 16GB
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (122,150 points)
    Dec 29, 2008 5:31 PM (in response to mancinrob)
    If the carrier that sells an iPhone in a particular country sells the iPhone as officially unlocked, you can use the iPhone with any provider's SIM card.

The downside is with a warranty claim. If a problem develops with an iPhone that is purchased in another country, an exchange under warranty must be done in the country where the iPhone was purchased only. When returning to the U.S. with an iPhone that was purchased in another country, Apple will not exchange the iPhone in the U.S. under warranty.
     PowerBook G4 17-inch/1.67GHz/2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 7200rpm-100GB HD,  iPod w/Video 30GB,  iPhone 3G 16GB

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.