Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is BootCamp safe?

I'm trying to convince my dad that BootCamp is safe. He doesn't think it is because in my families Windows experience we had lots of viruses, so he thinks that downloading Windows and using it with BootCamp with mess up my mac.

So for BootCamp users does it mess up your system or anything that can give my Mac a virus.

Mac OS X Macintosh HD, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Dec 29, 2008 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2008 8:38 PM

Hi Darvison,

running Windows on a Mac (through BootCamp or any other method, like Virtualization) is like running Windows on any other given PC.

Therefor a decent anti-virus software should always be used.

On the other hand, a virus that is written to affect Windows can not affect Mac OSX because of the very different nature of these two operating systems.

And up to now there are no known viruses in the wild that can affect Mac OSX.

But there are some Makro Viruses using the Microsoft Office programs for infiltration and can therefor affect both Office for Windows and Office for Mac.

And also there are the flaws in the Web-Browsers, which can also affect both Windows and Mac OSX.

But these aren't flaws that come with installing/using Windows on a Mac, which in itself is a pretty straight-forward process.

Personally I run Windows on my Macs ever since BootCamp was in Beta stage and up to now never had any kind of problem nor any 'mess-ups' of my Mac OSX.

Regards

Stefan
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2008 8:38 PM in response to Darvison

Hi Darvison,

running Windows on a Mac (through BootCamp or any other method, like Virtualization) is like running Windows on any other given PC.

Therefor a decent anti-virus software should always be used.

On the other hand, a virus that is written to affect Windows can not affect Mac OSX because of the very different nature of these two operating systems.

And up to now there are no known viruses in the wild that can affect Mac OSX.

But there are some Makro Viruses using the Microsoft Office programs for infiltration and can therefor affect both Office for Windows and Office for Mac.

And also there are the flaws in the Web-Browsers, which can also affect both Windows and Mac OSX.

But these aren't flaws that come with installing/using Windows on a Mac, which in itself is a pretty straight-forward process.

Personally I run Windows on my Macs ever since BootCamp was in Beta stage and up to now never had any kind of problem nor any 'mess-ups' of my Mac OSX.

Regards

Stefan

Dec 29, 2008 10:31 PM in response to Darvison

Hello Darvison,

Like Stefan, I've used BootCamp for a couple of years now. I've been running XP Pro SP2/SP3 all this time and haven't had any major issues with it. Making sure you have automatic updates turned on in Windows (I think it's by default) will help keep your computer (Windows/BootCamp) relatively safe but surfing the web, on the Windows side, can sometimes lead to some unexpected surprises like malware, spyware, or viruses (even with AVG, which is what I use). Luckily, in XP Pro, you can restore to a previous state (similar to Time Machine in Leopard) to bring everything back to normal (hopefully).

Therefore, when I surf the web and download email (where the potential for getting viruses, etc. are at a higher risk), I use Mac (OS X). So far, so good...

..Makro Viruses using the Microsoft Office... (Stefan)

Probably written using Visual Basic? Which is why Visual Basic is not included in Office Mac 2008? Some of the problems that I may have experienced, on the XP side, may have come from these macros.

Anyway, is BootCamp safe? Yes. Is Windows safe? In my experience, intermittently... most of the time.

🙂
Gary

Dec 30, 2008 1:30 AM in response to Darvison

Simply, No. No need to go on and on.

You you set up Windows you have to set up a partition (Or section, essentially splitting you hard disk into two sections.). Thus, when you're booted into windows it only recognizes the partition it was installed on. So any viruses you get on windows ONLY affect windows.

Windows doesn't know how to read or write to an Apple Journaled formatted partition(What your OS X is on).

Smerky

Dec 30, 2008 3:24 AM in response to Darvison

If you Dad gets infected on his system, well, reports and studies show most or an "awful" lot of people aren't keeping their software and system patched and up to date and taking precautions or understand today's world of social networking issues, drive by downloads, and how to use good sense and good security.

Run IE7 64-bit, there aren't any plug-ins for 64-bit version!

Also, for the last half dozen years, Norton has done more harm, and they aren't alone in being problematic, but their 2009 Suite is a good solid program and winner.... and I know I"ve had to reinstlal Windows just to get rid of Norton and its assocaited problems, I'm not ignorant -I also have used systems for 40 yrs - of the pitfalls. Company can change. I had trouble with Kaspersky and AVG and other respected suites.

HOWEVER, one point, some people don't keep backups, and a good backup that is safe and taken before or when the system is in a healthy state... is essential, Mac or Windows.

Apple's tools for resizing and creating partitions has and could be one area that could improve, but again, page one: backup first.

And there are some threats that try to get a boot blocks, partition table, the "root" of the hard drive, and even the BIOS (is EFI that Apple and Macs now use going to be exploitable?).

A honey pot is a computer put on the net in base cofiguration and left there to see what hits it, and average time for compromise can be as little as 15 minutes.

IN the last 4 days, I've seen DDoS (denial of service) hits more regularly and often than in the last year...

Dec 30, 2008 9:42 AM in response to The hatter

The cardinal point to remember when using Windows is NEVER RUN WITH ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES! Create a userid that will be used to administer the computer under XP or Vista; then, create a userid that will have limited privileges and will be used for all normal work. You can even install most programs from a limited userid by entering the administrator password.

Running as administrator leaves your Windows installation wide open to crackers and malicious software. Remember to run a good antivirus program (eg AVG free) and a couple of anti-spyware programs. Set Windows Update to automatic so that your installation is kept current and recently-discovered holes are plugged.

Following these simple rules has kept me free of viruses and other nuisances.

Dec 30, 2008 10:22 AM in response to Tonerl

Vista is pretty good in that regard.

People complain about UAC, but to me, after years of clicking on OS X installers and having to give my password (which REALLY bothered me and still does) as well as added features of 64-bit, but, stay informed and there are a couple news sites that are good (many duplicate the same press releases and alerts).

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/

The same would go even more so to not run OS X as root. But I don't think running Vista as normal administrator is bad idea and I know I am constantly doing things and don't want to be using another account, and I bet most won't either. A lab, yes, sole user, no.

Dec 31, 2008 9:53 AM in response to Darvison

A very useful thread because it was a concern I had i.e. was it possible for a virus to "jump" partitions. I am now reassured. I intend to use my Windows XP SP 3 partition for single player gaming and as such will rarely be open to any attack. However there will be the very odd occasion I might have to connect to the net to download latest drivers etc.. I wish to avoid buying a Virus Protection package if possible as I note there are some free ones available (although pretty basic). I was looking at AVG. Any views on this or others?

Happy New Year -6 hours to go here in the UK!

Jan 1, 2009 2:10 AM in response to Fortuny

Thanks Stefan. I think I may give it a go. I am using Intego Virus Barrier X4 on my OSX partition and am aware that X5 can come with Dual Protection. I still have a years subscription to run on X4 and am in touch with Intego to see if I can upgrade to X5 Dual at reasonable cost. If not I will give AVG Basic a go at least until my X4 sub. runs out.

Is BootCamp safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.