Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Airport Express for DHCP over Ethernet?

I am trying to set up a home network which has a couple of laptops and one wired iMac.

I have a cable modem and an Airport Express. I have the cable modem plugged into the uplink of an Ethernet hub; the Airport Express and the iMac then both plug into the hub.

This works fine for the Airport Express; the laptops have no trouble getting an Internet connection.

However, I cannot figure out how to get the iMac to use the Airport Express as its DHCP server (or if that is even possible).

Any help is appreciated.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Dec 30, 2008 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2008 4:31 PM

I have a cable modem and an Airport Express. I have the cable modem plugged into the uplink of an Ethernet hub; the Airport Express and the iMac then both plug into the hub.

Sorry, but this won't work. If you need to support both wired and wireless devices on your network, you will need to use a wireless router with a built-in Ethernet switch so the modem doesn't get "confused" on what's connected to it. An example of this type of router would be the AirPort Extreme Base Station if you're sticking with Apple products. If not, there are plenty of vendors out there, like Belkin, D-Link, Linksys and Netgear just to name a few.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2008 4:31 PM in response to Jonathan Hurshman

Sorry, but this won't work. If you need to support both wired and wireless devices on your network, you will need to use a wireless router with a built-in Ethernet switch so the modem doesn't get "confused" on what's connected to it. An example of this type of router would be the AirPort Extreme Base Station if you're sticking with Apple products. If not, there are plenty of vendors out there, like Belkin, D-Link, Linksys and Netgear just to name a few.

Using Airport Express for DHCP over Ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.