Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DI-624, Xbox and AE

Hello,

I just got a new xbox and I want to connect it to my AE router. Right now my setup is iMac-->AE-->DSL modem. My iMac and the AE communicate wireless.

I'd like to use my old DI-624 to connect my xbox to my home network. But I don't know how to do this. Ideally I'd like to connect the xbox thru ethernet to the DI-624 and then have the DI-624 connect to the AE wirelessly.

Anyone has an idea how to do this? I have read all the documentation for AE but it is assumed that only Apple products should be used to setup a network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J Terrazas

iMac 24, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iMac

Posted on Dec 30, 2008 11:02 AM

5 replies

Dec 30, 2008 4:24 PM in response to Juan Terrazas1

I'd like to use my old DI-624 to connect my xbox to my home network. But I don't know how to do this. Ideally I'd like to connect the xbox thru ethernet to the DI-624 and then have the DI-624 connect to the AE wirelessly.

Unfortunately, most non-AirPort routers are not compatible with Apple's implementation of Wireless Distribution System (WDS)...so it very unlikely that your AirPort Express Base Station (AX) can be extended wirelessly with the D-Link router.

Another option, would be to connect the D-Link directly to the modem via Ethernet, and then, run another Ethernet cable from the D-Link for the Xbox. You can then also connect the AX by Ethernet to an available LAN port on the D-Link if you wish to continue to use the AX for things like streaming iTunes and/or share a USB printer.

Dec 30, 2008 11:38 PM in response to Juan Terrazas1

I think I read about WDS somewhere in the online documentation so I wonder if anyone has tried it with a DI-624.

I couldn't confirm using the manufacturer's support site or a quick Google-search that this particular model (& its various versions) supports WDS. I also went to the DD-WRT website and found that they did not provide a firmware update for this router either. Even if it did, I wouldn't count on it being WDS-compatible with the AirPorts.

Jan 4, 2009 4:41 PM in response to Tesserax

I have tried to setup a WDS network thru the Airport Utility. I added the DI-624 as a client by entering the MAC address which, by the way, was a bit confusing because the MAC address on the bottom of the DI-624 unit is a bit different than the one shown in the configuration. In any case, neither MAC address works. When I restart my AE, it gives an error indicating that no airport clients were found; it seems that AE doesn't recognize the DI-624.

So I wonder if Apple routers do work with other non-Apple products. It's to bad that I cannot use the DI-624 which is certified as xbox compatible.

Jan 4, 2009 5:23 PM in response to Juan Terrazas1

I have tried to setup a WDS network thru the Airport Utility. I added the DI-624 as a client by entering the MAC address which, by the way, was a bit confusing because the MAC address on the bottom of the DI-624 unit is a bit different than the one shown in the configuration.

Again, I don't believe this particular D-Link router is WDS capable ... at least I couldn't find anything from the manufacturer that support this.

So I wonder if Apple routers do work with other non-Apple products.

By design for WDS, Apple routers work with other Apple routers ... and a very few non-Apple ones. But this is true the other way around as well.

DI-624, Xbox and AE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.