Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Editor to CSV

I have some data from the iPod touch Accounts program that needs to be converted via a text editor into a CSV document. But, TextEdit does not allow for CSW (only RTF, etc.). Is there a text editor out there somewhere (or in my Mac) that will allow me to save something as CSV? Eric

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 30, 2008 8:59 PM

4 replies

Jan 17, 2009 9:18 AM in response to Limnos

thanks Limnos, how do I change the save format and what do I change it to? I've looked at the Preferences area of TextEdit but I don't see anything about adding the option to save as a .csv.

I'm not sure about the criteria for separating the columns basically the program has you click on a button that says "Export Data", then prepares and e-mail for you to send to your computer. The text in my e-mail comes out as:

"12/24/08", "Beginning Balance", "+1000.59", "", "Cleared", ""
"12/29/08", "XFER to Savings", "-600.00", "", "Cleared", ""
"12/29/08", "Void", "-0.00", "2223", "Cleared", ""
"12/29/08", "Master Card", "-400.00", "2224", "Outstanding", ""
"12/31/08", "Paycheck", "+671.76", "", "Cleared", "WE 12/27"

Not sure how to get Excel to do this, when I paste this info in a spreadsheet is just sits there in the same form you see above. Eric

Jan 17, 2009 11:09 AM in response to Eric Rodriguez

Not sure how to get Excel to do this, when I paste this info in a spreadsheet is just sits there in the same form you see above.

Yes, pasting just gets you one big useless block. You have to Import or Open it in Excel.

I don't have Excel, but I opened it in a NeoOffice Spreadsheet which is compatible with Excel, Word, etc., by first pasting that into a Tex-Edit Plus Document and saving as a a Plain ASCII text file called SpreadsheetTest.csv, Opened that in NeoOffice...

User uploaded file

Text Editor to CSV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.