Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring With Time Machine

How do I restore a previous version of iCal using Time Machine?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jan 1, 2009 6:10 AM

10 replies

Jan 1, 2009 10:17 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

1 Open Loop,
Using Time Machine I should just restore the entire directory?

Just replace the "Calendars" Folder.
That will get me back to where I was?

That will get you back to the last time that you backed up using Time Machine, but I would advise that you quit iCal before replacing the folder.

After replacing the folder, it would also be beneficial to find the com.apple.iCal.plist file in your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences Folder. Drag the file to your Desktop, log out/in or restart.

FWIW, I also use iCal>File>Back up iCal... on a regular basis.

;~)

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2009 10:25 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

Your calendar data is located in your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Calendars Folder

Once there look for the specific calendar you want to restore. It will be the name of your calendar with a .ics ending.

Go to File>Import in iCal. Select import an iCal file. Locate the .ics file that you want to restore. Select import. You will be prompted as to which calendar you want to import it to. Select New Calendar from the pull down menu. Select ok. You will now have restored the calender to iCal with the original name you had used.
There is no need to try to use Time Machine to restore any individual file as long as it still exists on your hard drive.

Jan 19, 2009 11:26 AM in response to Lora Mitchell

Captain Jim,

Welcome to Apple Discussions.

For the benefit of other iCal users, please allow me to discuss some of the points that you made. 🙂
Your calendar data is located in your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Calendars Folder

Correct.
Once there look for the specific calendar you want to restore. It will be the name of your calendar with a .ics ending.

Although that was the case for the previous versions of iCal, you will not find the same file structure with Version 3.0.6 (1273) of iCal. Each calendar that you have will be represented by a folder which is named something like 642006CA-6538-4D0E-A1BD-BDC5DD0E78A2.calendar. Inside that folder there will be an Info.plist file, and an Events Folder. The Events folder contains individual files named something like FC2E5732-CD51-4569-BA85-19B1F5AB89B2.ics.
Go to File>Import in iCal. Select import an iCal file. Locate the .ics file that you want to restore. Select import.

These individual files (FC2E5732-CD51-4569-BA85-19B1F5AB89B2.ics) represent actual calendar dates, and although they can individually be imported, it is impossible to import all of the specific calendar events using the iCal>File>Import... file menu command.
There is no need to try to use Time Machine to restore any individual file as long as it still exists on your hard drive.

I am not sure what you mean by that statement, but Time Machine apparently worked as advertised for the OP in restoring the Calendars because the thread was marked as "Solved."

;~)

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2009 2:23 PM in response to Ferd II

If I have a calendar that I am no longer using and would like to get it off of the iCal list of calendars, but don't want to delete it completely how do I accomplish this? In other words I want to keep the data for future possible reference but don't want a long list of calendars on my iCal calendar list.

If I delete the calendar is it completely gone from the hard drive?

If I use Time Machine won't it take me back to where all the calendars were at that date ?

Also curious, why the Naval Aviator wings at the bottom of your post?

Jan 19, 2009 4:49 PM in response to Lora Mitchell

Captain Jim,
If I have a calendar that I am no longer using and would like to get it off of the iCal list of calendars, but don't want to delete it completely how do I accomplish this?

I am not sure how to accomplish that feat in a manner that is satisfactory for everyone, but I would use iCal>File>Export...on the Calendar that I wanted to archive, and then delete the calendar from the Sources Pane. If I ever wanted to look at the data in that Calendar, I could then use iCal>File>Import... and make sure that the data is imported into a calendar that has a name something like "Archive." In order to prevent complications, I would not import the data into an active Calendar.
If I delete the calendar is it completely gone from the hard drive?

Yes, unless you make a specific effort to save the calendar as I indicated using the "Export" command, or have archival data such as Time Machine/SuperDuper. When a calendar is deleted there will briefly an Edit>"Undo" command available until any further action is taken by the user.
If I use Time Machine won't it take me back to where all the calendars were at that date ?

Correct. Reverting to a Time Machine backup will eliminate any data entered after the date of the Time Machine backup. There may be ways to keep that from happening, but most users have some type of sync enabled which further complicates data retrieval. That is why I favor using iCal>File>Back up iCal... on a regular basis.
Also curious, why the Naval Aviator wings at the bottom of your post?

Thanks for noticing, not too many people recognize those wings. As a retired Naval Aviator, I decided to add that symbol of my past to my Apple Discussions posts.

;~)

User uploaded file

Jan 26, 2009 8:48 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

I am tired of trying to map my way through this puzzle. I have just lost a tremendous amount of information and am desperate to find a way to restore it.
One of the children plugged in a memory stick yesterday to play music. When I went back to the computer it was as if it had never been used. Ical was empty, pages and pages of info were blank. Safari did not exist, iphoto was gone along with 3000 photos. Screen saver gone. Widget settings back to original. Set for Phoenix time like it was when I bought it. All history gone. All bookmarks gone.
I don't even know what else. Could someone please tell me how this could have all been wiped out in one swoop and is it possible to restore? How can I prevent this from happening again and what is the best way to get real customer service. This is a horrid joke trying to figure my why through this support system!

Thank you,
SO DESPERATE!

Restoring With Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.