You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resize images for pixel height/width and for file size

Good morning,

I need to upload images to a website I'm building (using Wordpress) and I want them to be a certain pixel size (WxH) and also need them to be a smaller file size. I have tried to find that in iPhoto and in the photo program that came with my camera. (Canon Image Browser and Digital Photo Professional)

So far it seems like I can do one or the other. I can either get it to be the right pixel size but not decrease the size of the file, at least not by much, or I can compress the file size without doing anything to the pixel size.

How do I do this? Am I just missing it, or can this be done?

Is there some other program you all might know about that would let me do this?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Mac Book Pro 15" 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jan 2, 2009 5:56 AM

8 replies

Jan 2, 2009 6:09 AM in response to dillbuch

Select the pic in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export

In the resulting dialogue select the Kind: Jpeg and then you can select the amount of JPEG compression at the Jpeg Quality dropdown and this will affect the filesize and at ‘Size:’ you can select the W x H dimensions.

Complete the export to the desktop where iPhoto will create a copy with your changes and then upload those.

Regards

TD

Apr 1, 2009 3:07 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,
Our social/competitive club requires digital images be submitted at 144 dpi and no more than 1024 pixels per side. Your solution to this question clearly answers the 1024 issue but I can't find a method to specify 144 dpi. The original image comes in, from the camera, at 72 ppi according to Adobe Bridge. (Yes, I'm using both dpi and ppi in this question -- I guess the question really is, how can I make iPhoto change from 72 ppi to 144 dpi?)
Thanks, in advance.

Apr 1, 2009 4:09 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,
Thanks for your prompt response, but I haven't yet made myself clear (this community is wonderful, but sometimes, like email, it's just not as good as sitting down together...unfortunately, there seems to be an ocean in between). But, to go on: I bring an image in from my camera and the metadata is:
File Size: 3.47 MB
Dimensions 3648 x 2736
Dimensions (in cm) 128.7 cm x 96.5 cm
Resolution 72 ppi

I need to re-size the image (without cropping) to
Dimensions 1024 x 768 (768 is a variable; 1024 is the maximum on the longest side)
Resolution 144 ppi.

When using iPhoto 8 or 9 I File | Export as a JPEG Quality Maximum Size Custom 1024 px and it re-sizes properly, but the resolution doesn't change from 72 ppi (I have to use Adobe to see the resolution). It makes no difference whether I specify Maximum quality or High or lowest, the ppi doesn't change.

Your continued help will be greatly appreciated.

Bert

Resize images for pixel height/width and for file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.