Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best way to move files from G5 to mac pro

Hi, in looking at the latest posts i'm seeing a lot of people with similar problems to me. well, i decided to buy a new mac pro and was wondering what the best way is to get the files i want from my old PPC G5 into my new mac pro. i do back everything up to an external hard drive. can i simply move files like, songs from itunes, over from the backup drive to my new mac pro? thanks

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Jan 3, 2009 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2009 8:18 AM

Hi Kine;

Since you say you have backups, I would connect the two Macs together with a Firewire cable and use Migration Assistant. Since you are changing architecture from PowerPC to Intel in your migration, I would suggest installing any applications on the new Mac Pro first. With backups you should be able to recover if Migration Assistant causes any problems. Firewire will move your data faster then ethernet.

Allan
User uploaded file
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2009 8:18 AM in response to Kine

Hi Kine;

Since you say you have backups, I would connect the two Macs together with a Firewire cable and use Migration Assistant. Since you are changing architecture from PowerPC to Intel in your migration, I would suggest installing any applications on the new Mac Pro first. With backups you should be able to recover if Migration Assistant causes any problems. Firewire will move your data faster then ethernet.

Allan
User uploaded file

Jan 3, 2009 10:10 AM in response to Kine

The Mac Pro has four SATA drive bays. Sometimes you can just pop in and copy everything, but in the end you need to reformat if it is going to stay there.

I would definitely backup the Mac Pro system first. Better yet, Apple includes lower end desktop drives, keep it for backup and invest in even a $69 WD 640GB for your system drive.

best way to move files from G5 to mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.