Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying multiple filenames to clipboard?

Hi all,

Is there a way to copy multiple filenames to the clipboard in one fell swoop? I used to use a free utility called ClipName on my PC and it was incredibly handy when I was doing some work in Excel but I can't find its equivalent for the Mac OS. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 3, 2009 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 12:43 PM

Good to know, but a couple of minutes too late! I was just working with a file where I wanted the path to several items, but also wanted to bold some headings, and was also adding URLs, so had two versions of the document open: one in plain and one in RTF. Accidently discovered that not only will RTF handle images, but it will even embed a movie. And dragging the URL from the browser results in a clickable link with the page title rather than the actual URL itself.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2009 12:43 PM in response to biovizier

Good to know, but a couple of minutes too late! I was just working with a file where I wanted the path to several items, but also wanted to bold some headings, and was also adding URLs, so had two versions of the document open: one in plain and one in RTF. Accidently discovered that not only will RTF handle images, but it will even embed a movie. And dragging the URL from the browser results in a clickable link with the page title rather than the actual URL itself.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Feb 11, 2009 11:01 AM in response to V.K.

I'm attempting to copy a list of image names and paste them into a text file, but the "paste" command pastes the images themselves, not just the filenames.

This used to be SOP, but something seems to have changed with Leopard. Or am I missing a setting somewhere to just copy the filename, and not the icon or image?

Feb 11, 2009 11:17 AM in response to kcliss

Are you using TextEdit? If so, it has two possible formats: Rich Text and Plain Text. Since it will actually handle images in Rich Text, if your page is set to that format you get the behavior you describe. However, if you switch to Plain Text in the Format menu, it will simply show the file list of images. If you want the list in a page that otherwise needs to be in Rich Text you could just create a new Plain Text doc, paste your text in there, then drag 'n drop the text list from the one doc to the other. Another cool thing: if you need the complete path to the items just select them then drag 'n drop from the Finder window into the Plain Text formatted window and instead of just the name of the files you get the complete path to the file.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Copying multiple filenames to clipboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.